This Disappears When Logged In

Gecko Hasn't Been Eating Lately, Extremely Skinny

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by beta, Oct 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beta

beta New Member

Hi,
    The reason I joined here, is due to my gecko's skinny-ness. She's 8 years old, 9 in about a month, but she's practically skin and bone at the moment. Is there any way to fatten her up but at the same time keep her healthy? Any help is appreciated, but need it ASAP!
    Thanks, Beta

2. bobberly1

bobberly1 Elite Member

Re: Gecko Hasn't Been Eating Lately, Extremely Ski

It's probably an illness, as Leopard Geckos are always captive bred and rarely problematic. Is he behaving differently than normal? What food are you offering?

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Can you tell us about her set up, temps, substrate, current diet, etc. If she is still eating and still losing weight she should probably see a vet and be tested for parasites otherwise your attempts to fatten her up might turn out to be in vain.

4. beta

beta New Member

She's in a 10 gallon tank, 20Lx10Wx12H, temp is about 31 degrees C, with a lamp and small heating pad under a corner of the tank. No tank substrate as she had a problem with it a couple of years ago, replaced it with a couple of layers of heavy duty blue paper towels (btw, shes toilet trained! She goes on a separate piece of paper towel in a corner of the tank which is removed every 2/3 days). She's got a couple of places to hide under and some rocks, water is replaced every morning. She was on a diet of 2 crickets/day, until about a week ago. I just got her to drink some water and lick at a cricket & banana mix about 30 mins ago, which seems to have gotten her a little more active.

5. Hedge

Hedge Elite Member

I would also suggest a trip to the Vet asap!

6. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

How long do Leos live? Is it possible she is just coming to old age?

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Leos have an average lifespan of 15-20 years but can live to be several years older.

Two crickets a day are not nearly enough food for an adult leopard gecko!
    Is that all the gecko was willing to eat or all you were providing?

I would seriously suggest a vet visit to rule out parasites. I would also suggest raising the temperature a few degrees to a basking site of 90-95 degrees.

8. beta

beta New Member

Two crickets per day is how much she'll eat on average. We give her about 4/5 crickets each feeding but 2 is how many she'll eat normally, with the odd piece of banana she likes to lick at. By the way, she is sort of a runt, so to speak, when we got her she had lost her tail cause she was being bullied by the other leos in her batch (that's what the breeder said). Compared to other adult leos I've seen she's one of the smaller ones. I raised the tank temp on your suggestion and she seems a bit more comfortable. At the moment she still won't eat and only takes a bit of water which I hand feed to her, which is taking quite a while to do. She still doesn't seem to be doing so well at the moment and a visit to the vet will be done asap. Hopefully she'll make it, things aren't looking so good at the moment.

9. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

In the time being you could could try some wax worms to get some fat into her sytem.

10. beta

beta New Member

Sadly I bear bad news... Baby has passed away in her sleep. She was as comfortable as I could make her, but at least now she is no longer suffering. I have a visit to the vet lined up for tomorrow but I guess it's no longer neseccary... Baby was 8 years and 11 months old and had provided us with many happy moments; may she finally rest in peace.

Good-bye Baby and may you lounge happily in gecko heaven, RIP.

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I'm so sorry to hear about Baby! At least you made sure she got all the care and love possible in her final days!

12. 30mm

30mm Elite Member

Tough break, sorry to hear that man.

13. Mr. Creature

Mr. Creature Active Member

I am so sorry to hear about your Gecko. I lost one last year that had the same problems. Her name was Cleo and she was an albino. She just stopped eating and then her head got wobbely. I even took her to a vet, spent $80 for the visit. They gave me a tube full of stuff that would help her heal, i got a siringe and feed her baby food everyday. and she would eat little by little. Then she just dies. I had another one too, she was big and fat at first, then i put two other leopards with her and she did ok at first but also got the same symptoms. Started getting skinny would'nt eat, i spent another $80 and did the same husbandry for her but she ended up dying as well. I think going to the vet is a waste of time for this symptom. I still am baffled and have no idea what to do.

R.I.P Cleo, Jolie, and now unfortunately Baby.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.