This Disappears When Logged In

GE Silicone II, TOXIC?

Discussion in 'Humidity' started by MoskiWoski, Mar 27, 2013.

  1. MoskiWoski

    MoskiWoski Elite Member

    Hey, I just finished prepping an enclosure for an ATB. I used a little GE Silicone II, window/door/attic/basement to hold some fake plants into a sealed piece of wood. I just read on a salt water tank site that this stuff is toxic. Well, some say yes, some say no. I called GE and it does have a mold inhibitor. Should I cut this stuff out and use food grade silicone? Cover it completely with food grade silicone? Or is it ok to use for reptiles? Has anyone used this stuff? What's the skinny?

    Also, has anyone used this DAP Auto/Marine silicone? I'm about to call them next.
     

    Attached Files:

  2. cassicat4

    cassicat4 Subscribed User Premium Member

    The DAP aquarium/marine silicone is the safest option, as it's designed for use in aquariums.
    Silicone II is to be avoided as the mold inhibitor is toxic if ingested/absorbed or exposed to fumes.
    Silicone I does not contain mold inhibitor and is considered safe to use in reptile enclosures. Allow for sufficient drying time before exposing your reptile to it though.
     
  3. MoskiWoski

    MoskiWoski Elite Member

    Thanks. I'm going to just cut this stuff out. It would never be ingested since it's under the substrate, and has already cured for a week, but I'd rather be safe. I have a week or so before I get my boa, so I have time. I appreciate your response. Thank you.
     
  4. RomanLA

    RomanLA Elite Member

    It depends on which forum you're reading on whether to use GEI or GEII. Personally, I used aquarium sealant everywhere inside my enclosure and then one of the GE's on the outside.
     
  5. Vers

    Vers Elite Member

    It's not just ingestion that you should be concerned with...you should also consider leeching and off gassing as well. Just breathing in non-detectable fumes is enough to worry. Removing it is a good idea.
     
  6. MoskiWoski

    MoskiWoski Elite Member

    Yeah. Thanks, both of you. The thing is, if I don't cut it out I'll never stop thinking and worrying about it. And even if the boa dies 15 years from now.....I'll blame the silicone. Lol.
     
  7. Turner

    Turner Elite Member

    I would to haha!
     

Share This Page