This Disappears When Logged In

Gathering Leaf Litter

Discussion in 'Field Herping' started by Rakoladycz, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Well it is the first of the year and I found my first snake of the year. I was out gathering leaf litter for my rudis and came across this central Florida crown snake. They are supposedly common but rarely seen because of life underground. I believe they get about 9-10 inches max. This one is about 4 inches long and the first I have ever found.

Hope you enjoy.

Attached Files:

2. BarelyBreathing

BarelyBreathing Elite Member

Cool. Happy herping. :)

3. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi Randy, it looks to be almost all pink in the pic, or is it just the small size making it seem so? I`ve never seen any snakes that colour before. I`m so glad you managed not to get constricted (if they do that)....

4. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I'm surprised you saw it; what a tiny snake! Wish I could go herping all year round.

5. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

that's a cool find! Being that small I probably would have never even seen it. Wished I lived in Fl

6. AjaMichelle

AjaMichelle Elite Member

How cool! :)

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

I barely saw it! Originally I thought it was one of central Florida sand skinks, but they are not supposed to be in brevard county. They are however located to the counties west of us. I know it appears pink but is actually closer to a tan with brown head. I do love living in Florida for our herping. I actually wished I was further south so I could enjoy more of our exotic stuff along with plenty of invasives.

8. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Very nice find indeed! Too cool, thanks for sharing:)

9. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Cute!! We only have garder snakes up here in the wild lol! Too cold for anything else up here. A 12 inch female red ear slider turtle was found at a lake here, thankfully she was caught and brought into the SPCA. Stupid people letting pets go, we usually get a week of -40 so that kills off the invasives/released.

10. mld

Alberta actually has six native species of snakes
    Alberta SRD - Snakes

11. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Always cool to find something you've never seen before.
    I have to drive about 2 hrs to do snake hunting.
    In season of course. Not right now in the blizzard we're having.

12. mld

Snow all gone here, 5 degrees one day and -14 the next. I love no snow, I know it won't last for long!

13. Evozakira

Evozakira Elite Member

Nice! Such a pretty snake. In my 25 years growing up in florida all i ever saw were black racers.

14. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

So pretty! I've found bullsnakes, garters, rattlers and rubber boas here :D

15. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Most of those are in southern Alberta we only have the Plains garter snake up here(I'm up pretty far North, its a 5 hour drive south to Edmonton or 12 hours to the USA border) :( We usually catch a few every year, catch and release of course :)

16. mld

We only have garter snakes here, but I love them!

17. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

025-1.jpg
    This is the guy we found this summer :) They are cute, The babies are nice but the adults musk you and try to bite lol!

Attached Files:

18. hennisntacanibal

hennisntacanibal Elite Member

I wish we could get some of your snow! All we have right now is wind chill. :-&

19. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Here we have tons of herps ranging from garter snakes to desert iguanas. And we are having an unseasonably warm winter... it was 65 yesterday and its supposed to be 60 today... all our little fence lizards are coming out, I havent seen any snakes yet but its to early for herps here.