This Disappears When Logged In

Garbage Disposal...........

Discussion in 'Pituophis (Pines, Bulls, Gophers)' started by SittingDuck, Jan 30, 2013.

1. SittingDuck

SittingDuck Member

Ive always heard Bull Snakes aren't real picky when it comes to meal time. Ive never seen anything eat like this guy. The second he hit the feeding tank he was on the mouse.

I want to make sure Im feeding him enough but dont want to overfeed. I have heard that bulls are known for their tendency to eat multiple mice and rats at a feeding. I gave him 2 mice last night and he did just that. I get the feeling if I had a dozen mice in the tank he would have eaten all of them.

He is approx. 2.5 to 3 feet long right now. He is about as big around as a small/med size mouse. He is approx 2 years old.

Anyone have experience with bulls this age and meal size?

Bull_zps5891c26e.jpe

Attached Files:

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like a great snake to have.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

They are opportunists and will over eat if allowed. This is fine in the wild when there may be an interval before they find such a bounty again. In captivity it will lead to an obese snake.
    Give a single prey animal about as big around as the snakes body at its widest part, once a week.
    The one I kept for a while was 6ft(wild caught).

4. SittingDuck

SittingDuck Member

He really is. Very unique personality that's for sure. After he ate I opened the feeding tank to move him to his living quarters. He has a tendency to rattle his tail a little bit when he is approached. This time his tail was going a mile a minute and he had flattened his head. Ive never seen him flatten his head before and it is really pretty amazing. Almost a perfect triagular shape to his head. Very cool.

5. SittingDuck

SittingDuck Member

I guess im used to my pythons that are so much thicker for the length. The bull seems so long for one tiny little mouse. I suppose as long as he doesn't look emaciated its all good though.

6. Merlin

LOL! They are pretty good at tha rattler imitation. Fooled my mom!
    Unfortunately that same trait ends up getting a lot of them killed because people think it is a rattler.

7. SittingDuck

SittingDuck Member

It is pretty amazing. Funny though, how they are all big and bad and then you pick them up, and they are all like - "im sorry, its all good, guess ill just quiet down and behave" lol

8. Merlin

The one I had would coil up, rattle, and raise his head and strike.
    Hissing like a steam engine the entire time!
    My mother was thoroughly convinced that I had brought home a diamondback!

9. SittingDuck

SittingDuck Member

LOL, I hear you. This guy doesnt hiss much. The most notable is when I had him across my shoulders (forgot he was there) and bent down to pet my dog. I guess he got a little uneasy because he let out a short burst and did a feinting strike. My dog looked at me like - "what the **** is his problem?"

........not much phases my dog:
    Ludo_zpsa12e3704.jpe

Attached Files: