This Disappears When Logged In

Full circle, at last!

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by Dee, Feb 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Jaxey, our VERY first Fattail, (heck, our very first herp!) just had her very first hatchling! Talk about coming full circle...:p

Larry is the papa so the hatchling is a possible Het Amel, but HOLY cutie pie! I thought our BB (first fattie hatchling) was small, but she has nothing on this wee thing! Nice fat belly, yolk sac completely absorbed, and the teeniest little spindly legs you ever did see. I can't wait to get in a photo session, but that will wait til tomorrow after the sweet dolly settles in.

*sigh* Life is good... finally!;)

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

congrats!! :D cant wait to c pics!!

3. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

I really want baby lizards now, everyone is hatching eggs and all that, and I don't even know if Tequila is gravid yet, you are all making me jealous and impatient!!

4. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Patience is a virtue, Lacey... Too bad I don't have any of it either! LOL. Keeping my fingers crossed for you and Tequila, I hope you get some eggies soon!

5. venus

venus Founding Member

Patience Dee?? Whats that. Patience (and a 13 yr old) makes me go gray, lol.

Congrats again, cant wait to see pics.

6. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Congrats! I look forward to seeing the little bugger. :D

7. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Your wish is my command, only too happy to oblige!

Yes, that is a quarter for comparison...
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Sweet, sweet, sweet. :D
    In case you're wondering, the Mama, Jaxey, is a very wee girl herself: over a year and a half old, and still weighs only 40-45 grams, top weight. She's fat and healthy, just petite -- looks like she passed it on to her offspring!

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hello,

Very cute! I love babies. lol

9. venus

venus Founding Member

Awwww Dee,,,so many cute babies!!!!

10. Dee

Dee Elite Member

A little update...

We're actually getting a little concerned about the wee one -- hasn't shed yet (consequently, still not eating) and getting a little thin on those spindly little legs... She does, however, still have a decently full-looking belly, and also appears to be ready for a shed. We're checking on her frequently to make sure the paper towel in her enclosure is damp and she has lots of water.

Just to let you know, her clutchmate didn't make it -- we finally broke down and opened the egg, and it had already passed. The yolk sac wasn't absorbed on this one either, and the egg was extremely hard and leathery, both of which I would say contributed to its demise. Jaxey's second clutch, however, seems to be thriving; the eggs are much larger and softer, and seem to be swelling nicely! ;)

11. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Well, we broke down last night and made some major adjustments. We put the wee one in a VERY small container (a baby wipe tub to be precise) inside her original tub and placed the whole thing lengthwise across the heat rope for maximum warmth. We also wet a sheet of paper towel in the large tub to see if the humidity would help her shed.

Well, when I checked on her this morning, she seemed like a different gecko. She appears to finally have shed; the glossy spots left on her from being in her egg are gone, and she looks richer in color. She was also very active at first, but as soon as her enclosure cooled, she started to quiver every time she moved! I got her back on the heat rope and dug up a pinner cricket for her, and she seems VERY interested in it. Keep your fingers crossed, I HOPE she eats!

12. Fran

Fran Veteran Member

I just love the second pic Dee..:p It's like, "Aww look at me. I'm just a little cutie.";)

13. rbl

rbl MacGyver in real life

Congratulations Dee, for both things! Keeping my fingers crossed for you! =)

On a side note I'm happy to report that I'm almost 75% immune to those evil AFT babies ;)

14. Dee

Dee Elite Member

Thanks guys, she still hasn't eaten but is much more lively. Any suggestions as to whether we should try anything more to get her to eat? There's a mealie in there as well as the pinner.

BTW, what do you think of my new av? ;)

15. Queen 'O Green

Queen 'O Green Elite Member

Awww! Congradulations! And good luck with the little one, I am sure that he'll be just fine!

16. LadyGecko10

LadyGecko10 Active Member

The baby is beautiful
    :D
    I sure have my fingers crossed for her
    Please keep us posted on how she is doing
    I'm sorry to hear about her clutch mate
    :(
    Sandy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.