This Disappears When Logged In

Frogs and Fish Setup

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by kriminaal, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Well, I've kept fish longer than I've been herping, and I can tell you, that ISN'T enough. Tetras and rasboras both need large amounts of space for their size, and are lil' mess machines, like their relatives. Also, these fish are much happier in a big school, with a wide area of space, and plants only* as hides, preferably around the edges.

The ottos, I've never kept, but from my experience with similar sized, similarly habited fish, it needs 5g water, and 2 sq. ft. of surface (decor don't count) BARE MINIMUM per individual. With this said, get a 29g, some live plants from the amazon, some nice driftwood (ottos will LOVE this!) and set up a tank with an oversize filter (always recomended, esp with cypranids and cichlids). Enlarge each of the tetra/rasbora schools and make a nice habitat tank.

*-This includes driftwood. Better yet, get some wood with a plant growing in it.

2. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

i wasn't trying to pass judgment on anyone; but i am fish keeper as well as a herp keeper and i just want to make sure the fish dont get looked over in this project.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Fish I believe would be the harder of the inhabitants to keep healthy.
    Water quality will definitely be a huge issue that I want to overcompensate for.

I'm also looking into some different species of newts as well.

4. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

I can't help you there, but you must realize, newts are NOT to be housed with any other species.

5. kriminaal

Hmm, never came across that info.
    Do you know why that is?
    I found a tutorial by a person that created a habitat with frogs, newts and fish.

6. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

Two reasons: ALL newts are toxic, and they're bullies. I've seen evidence in a LPS; the newts had chased the FBTs so much that the toads would barely dare set foot in the water, the poor things.

7. kriminaal

Thanks for the info. I'll stay away from newts then.