This Disappears When Logged In

Frogs and Fish Setup

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by kriminaal, Jun 15, 2010.

1. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Despite my best efforts of getting my daughter to choose a Russian tortoise a leopard gecko or a frog. She wants fish.
    So I'm looking towards setting up a frog habitat with fish.
    Now I've read that most frogs need to be able to touch bottom with their rear feet, so depth can't be all that much.
    What species of frog would be best to setup with fish?
    Maybe even a tree frog that wouldn't go in the water anyway?

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'd worry about the tree frog drowning. The frogs don't have to touch the ground, just have a few floating things in the water for them to set on, like a plant or two. I mean, in the wild, half the time the water is deeper than they are, they do swim after all if they are aquatic.

Of course you know your real problem right??? The fish WILL be lunch.

3. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

If you have enough room to house a bullfrog and fish that it won't eat (such as a comet goldfish, which requires 30-40g a piece when full grown, contrary to popular belief), a bullfrog would be an excellent choice.

If you'd prefer an all-aquatic frog, the ACF or ADF would be an excellent choice. The ACF needs the same temps as a goldfish, but if you'd like to go tropical, ADFs prefer that. About the only fish that you can get in a pet store that an ACF can live with is a comet or Shubunkin goldfish, though the coldwater tetras* can usually be housed safely with them. ADFs can live with most small fish such as danios, tetras*, guppies (2-3 females to one male), coryadoras (not the best choice, some specimens bug ADFs) and smaller or eel-like loaches (dojos, yoyo, some botia species).

So, if you want community, ADFs are the way to go.

*-NOT for beginner aquarists. Tetras are lil' mess machines.

4. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Why not a betta fish? Something more simple, I guess,lol. My daughter has one that our neighbor gave us recently and she just loves it. It's on her nightstand in a nice one gallon tank. It's name is Davinci,lol.

5. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

A betta, some danios, and ADFs would make an excellent community, but you should always allow for more than you plan to get, trust me.

I forgot to say, with any fully aquatic frog, you need at least two. They live a longer, healthier, happier life that way. They form what I call "party piles" and the structure of the pile has to do with the kicking order.

6. kriminaal

I can't just get some boring fish. What fun is that?
    I need to BUILD something.
    Not too worried about them getting eaten. Just buy some more cheap ones I guess,lol

7. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

If it's just that you need to build, some fish could provide that. That usually means brackish.

I'd suggest 1 mudskipper, some monos and 1 dragon goby, or 1 mudskipper and a school of PEACEFUL puffers. Either of those could have an archerfish added if you desire. A final setup; a school of bumblebee gobies, a group of mollies and some brackish fiddlers.

All of these would require three sections of tank, and some homemade decor (fake mangrove roots). The three sections would be deep water, shallow water, and land. The size of sections would vary between setups, and for any setup, if there's enough room, a marshy section of medium depth would be appriciated.

8. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

9. kriminaal

Thanks for the ideas. My mind is going to work.
    I forgot about your setup Rich, definitely going to use some of those techniques.
    I still remember the first paladium (forget how to spell that word) I saw years and years and years ago.

10. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I"m pretty sure brackish water and frogs don't mix.

11. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

I was saying, you don't need to mix in frog to have a fish setup involving actual building. In these cases, fiddlers or 'skipper are the critters that require building.

12. kriminaal

I think I might have used a 'fish' term without meaning to.
    When I said building I meant as in creating something as in waterfalls etc...

13. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

That's fairly similar to what I meant. Creating multiple levels, creating false mangrove roots. If you went for this sort of thing and got an archerfish, it would probably appriciate some sort of feeder that would allow it to hunt naturally.

14. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The term you are going for is "Paludarium";)

15. kriminaal

Ah yes, that's the one.

Are frogs pretty tough?
    I go away alot of weekends. Would they be fine for 2-3 days without feeding?
    See monitors are tough, grrr arghh. A week is no problem for them.

16. Cowrie

Cowrie Well-Known Member

That would be fine, but if you get a baby frog, it's not recommendable.

17. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

i Have a tank just like what your talking about, it is a 29 gal tank with a 4 inch tall divider siliconed in place, and i have a small waterfall and about 4 gallons of water for some small tetras and rasboras. I have a single cuban treefrog and a pair of peacock frogs in this tank. this has been one of my most sucessfull tanks, it has been doing very well for about three years with no casualties, neither fish nor frogs. i have rasboras, pencil tetras and neon tetras with a few otocinclus catfish for cleanup. heres a pic

Attached Files:

18. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

4 gallons is not enough of room for anything more than a beta. if you are going to have fish, they need to be treated as your pets and not simply as decorations. they deserve to have their conditions met just as much as any other pet.

19. kriminaal

Interesting setup.
    thanks

20. herps4life

herps4life Elite Member

anna, 4 gal was just a guess its probably a bit more than that, but all of the fish in that tank are healthy and happy, they have plenty of space and hiding spots for them all to have their own. I dont treat any of my animals like decorations,they have all of their "conditions" met, they have enough space to live happily, and do so!!! please dont pass judgement on someone u know nothing about.