This Disappears When Logged In

frog moving help

Discussion in 'Amphibian - General' started by schlegelbagel, Mar 9, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

I'm adopting frogs this weekend. To start out with its too many of too many breeds in one tank. 2 RETF, 1 dumpy, 2 fire bellys, and one newt. The cage setup isn't all that great.

I have a 29 gallon that I'm going to temporarily put all the frogs into while I tear apart the 35 gallon they are all in and make a nice vivarium.

When I bring them home after the 45 minute drive, do I put them into the 29 gallon right away doing all the stress at once, or do I let them chill in their tank for a week or so and get settled after the drive and then move them. Or does it matter at all one bit?

Thanks
    Liz

Here is their current tank set up so you get an idea of what I'm working with.

[​IMG]

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Looks fantastic :)

3. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I think that they would be fine going straight into the new setups if the new ones are ready
    If you don't think you can keep them all I can probably take the dumpy for ya, have 6 already whats a another one? = ) and I'm just in Columbia...

4. fire2225ems

Just read that from the other post, I'm guessing thats the one you wouldn't want to give up... = ) let me know if you need any help! Currently my frogs are all over visiting with my sister until I can get their new tank setup, but anytime you want pics of the current one let me know. Also you should check out HerpHabitats for tank ideas.

5. schlegelbagel

I have been reading up on vivariums and tank set up. I pretty much know what I'm going to do. Just to start out with i'm going to yank out what he has (dirt, plants, etc) and put it in my 29 gallon with fresh spring water. They will be in this temporarily until I get the vivarium set up. It doesn't look too hard to do in one swift move since its all elevated and sitting on a platform but we will see.

You are correct, i want to keep the dumpy and plan on getting him a friend in the near future. I'm considering getting rid of the fire belly toads and the newt. Well, the newt for sure I just have to find someone to take him and I can't really do that until I identify it.

Once the vivarium is set up, i'll move all the tree frogs back into it, while I convert my 29 gallon into a vertical set up. Then one pair of frogs will go in that, and one will be in the other tank. I'm hoping in the next month I will have 2 vertical vivariums, growing with happy frogs.

Its great that you are so close with so many frogs! I'm just about done with my shopping list for thier care, now I have to shop for the rest of the vivarium setup. I need a bunch of great stuff, some coco husk, drainage rocksw and a water dish. Maybe a few big rocks too. I have vines, bark, growing media and driftwood on its way.

How much local stuff do you put in your tank, like branches, rocks, roots, etc...?

6. fire2225ems

All of the tree branches and vines were from my back yard. As were the bigger rocks I used. In the bottom of the pond and under the substrate I had river pebbles from the local garden center. the sub. is a mix of garden soil, peat moss, and sand. and all the live plants were from the local nursery as well. I tried some moss from the back yard but it never really took...

7. schlegelbagel

cool, thanks. I just picked up a bunch of 1-2" branches from a friends backyard. My backyard is a bit... well....sparse, since i live in a townhome community. I also picked up a few more rocks but I plan on getting some more.

I get my froggies TODAY!!!

I'll be off to Valley View Farms tomorrow to pick up plants.

8. fire2225ems

cool, its probably way out of your way, but I got lots of help from the River Hill Nursery too.

9. schlegelbagel

well I have sad news. The guy flaked on me. No froggies to adopt. He gave them to someone else who bartered with a 100gal tank which i guess this guy needed for his snake.

To make me happy, my husband took me out and bought me a 37 gallon tank, some greatstuff, black sillicone and some moss.

So today I'll start making my tank and in a few months I will get my own froggies. I'll probably get more satisfaction out of this, since I won't be rushed. But I am still a little sad.

:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.