This Disappears When Logged In

Frilled Dragon - Possible Tail Rot

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by sgun020, Jan 1, 2014.

1. sgun020

sgun020 Well-Known Member

hi everyone

so far the wound looks good, let's hope it gets better. i've been keeping a close look at it, clean and put neosporin on it diligently...he jumps around a lot, i'm actually a bit afraid he's going to hurt himself.

i delayed my flight to march so i can monitor it, hopefully it'll be alright by then. i'll try to take close up pics at the wound later, he's even more protective of his tail now, one suspicious move and he turns around, glares and hisses at me.

yea i bought the original neosporin cause i thought original is always good, product came, put on alto...then i read around about neosporin plus pain relief is a no no, i double checked the package again, just incase.

2. sgun020

Alto tail front view.jpg Alto front view.jpg

Hi

So these are the pictures from today, the wound seems to be closing up, and so far, no signs of re-infection. He's been more protective to whatever's left of his tail now, and feistier too (that could be because he's shedding).

I've got a question, I'm supposed to keep his wound dry, if I keep cleaning the wound with betadine...it won't be completely dry. Is it time to stop with betadine and just re-apply neosporin?

Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  3. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I would keep up with the betadine until the skin grows over the tip of the tail. As long as its scabbed and open infection can still develop.
    When you clean it with the betadine you need to rinse it off afterwards and then pat it dry. It should only take a week or two before the skin grows in.

4. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I`ve never heard of applying iodine/povidone to a wound and then rinsing it off, it should be allowed to dry on the surface as far as I know?

5. sgun020

i thought the same as murrindindi...i've been applying betadine, wait a bit until dry, pat just to make sure it's dry then neosporin. would it be ok if i didn't rinse it?

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

No need to rinse, keep the wound completely dry. Why are you applying the Neosporin on top of the povidone?
    Edit: You haven`t said but I take it you have not bandaged the wound this time?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  7. sgun020

So i don't need to apply neosporin anymore? I was afraid of possible re-infection, so i've been applying neosporin after betadine.

I don't bandage it because alto always soak his bandage in his water dish to make it heavier n falls off, i was told to keep it dry so if alto soaks it, then the wound will be wet. I clean his cage everyday and spot clean when needed, i thought it'd be ok. Should i start bandaging him? I can try again but he always manages to get it off.

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Because I`m still not absolutely sure about the Neosporin (I know many people do use it), I would just apply the Betadine (once daily), and no need to bandage the tail tip.
    How big is the water container in comparison to the dragon?

9. sgun020

ok, yea I don't bandage the tip since Alto always manages to outsmart me :x

before his infection, Alto could soak in his water dish, after his infection and I was told to keep the tail dry I replaced his dish to a smaller water dish...then again, he still managed to soak his bandage in there... :(((