This Disappears When Logged In

Frilled Dragon - Possible Tail Rot

Discussion in 'Lizards - General' started by sgun020, Jan 1, 2014.

1. sgun020

sgun020 Well-Known Member

hi there

alto is 327 grams in weight.

thanks a lot for the help.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Can you get some antibiotics and give details of those, plus zoom in on the tail?

3. sgun020

sorry i didn't go there yesterday, i'll take the pics soon.

will check out the antibiotics and let you know, thanks.

4. sgun020

hi

my friend who owns dogs say the vet give antibiotics for human, pills. for liquid antibiotic, the vet gave amoxycilin.

i'll check other antibiotics tonight.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Amoxicilin or Baytril are the antibiotics I have seen most often for lizards.

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, my own vet is not available until tomorrow (wednesday), so I will try get advise on suitable antibiotics and dosage then.
    I have spoken to several vets today but they say they cannot advise on which antibiotic to use without seeing the lizard (obviously that is impossible)! Please do get a close photo of the tail tip.

7. sgun020

I did read about Baytril, but I'm not sure if it's suitable to treat his tail, also the dosage would be tricky.

tip 1.jpg tip 2.jpg

I can understand if the vets can't advise on the antibiotic used to treat alto without seeing him - the close up photo attached, hope they're ok. I had finished bandaging his tail then I remembered that I need to take photos...

8. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, I cannot see anything in those photos, can you enlarge the 3rd photo on page one of this thread?
    Can you also say exactly which part is swollen/infected, because that is not clear to me? I can only se the very tip is dead, that should fall off itself.

9. sgun020

tail.jpg tip1.jpg tip2.jpg mushy part.jpg

hi there

the first picture: part of the tail, from the tip on the right to a few cms to the left is the darkened area, then a few more cms to the left up to the kink is the greenish (mushy) area. above the kink is the healthy tail.

2nd & 3rd pictures: just the enlarged part of the tip and darkened area.

last picture: greenish (mushy) area, it might not look greenish in the picture, which I think is the infected area - I think instead of it being swollen, it seems like shrinking.

for the time being alto drinks reptaid, I clean the infected area down to the tip with betadine then apply neosporin - so far the infection hasn't spread further up the tail and alto is still as lively as ever, though slightly annoyed at being handled everyday cause we need him to drink the reptaid and treat his tail. I'm taking all of these as a good sign, but I'm not overjoyed until the tail is back to normal (if it ever goes back to normal).

10. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think I can see the part that is still shrinking. If there is still some infection you need the antibiotics, I`m still waiting for a phone call from the vet as to dosage.
    If as a last resort you want to amputate the tip yourself I will go into more detail on how to do that. Please keep in mind this is a job for a vet, or at least someone with some knowledge/experience, so the risk will be that much greater.
    I will be online later today (Thursday).

11. sgun020

Hi again

Thanks a lot for your support, much appreciated.
    Just a quick update on alto, my husband went there today. As he cleaned and put topical antibiotic on alto's tail, a lot of dead skin came off the darkened area near the tip, so he helped rubbed some off, the skin came off easily. It seems that alto can still feel around that area as he whipped his tail and frilled when my husband was helping, then again alto has never been thrilled with my husband's help.

So...i don't know what to make out of this new update, part of me is kind of relieved, but i'm still anxious about the mushy part.

And i wish the problems related to alto finish there, guess what...his light system broke down =.=;; my husband put him back then alto jumped up hitting the light system above his cage then "poof"...darkness...2014 really hasn't started well for us...anyway, i'm going to the shop and buy brand new light system for him tomorrow.

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Sorry to hear he broke his bulbs, I hope he gives you the money for the new ones...;)
    The biggest concern is infection, and if it is still present, it needs treating as already mentioned. I really don`t think applying an ointment to the surface will have much effect if the infection is inside and not on the surface (as in the initial wound).
    It`s very difficult to suggest the best action, amputating the tip or waiting to see if the suspected infection clears and the tip falls off itself with no further problems (which is possible, but is it likely)? You have a very difficult decision to make, and possibly not much time...

13. sgun020

hello

i've got his credit card for the bulbs and the domes...hohoho... :D

i'm not sure with what i'm supposed to do next, which one would be the best course of action? i've never had these problems before with the others so this is very new to me.

was there any advice from your vet?

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, the vet did not get back to me, I suspect it`s because they need to see the animal before deciding the best course of action?
    If you are as sure as you can be there`s still infection there, I think it may be best to amputate.
    I can only say that if this were my lizard and I couldn`t get an experienced vet to take the tip off I would do it as a last resort rather than watch the infection travel further up the tail and into the body, that would be a very painful and quite lingering death.
    Can you measure exactly how far up the bad part is and tell me if you are prepared to take it off, knowing it is more of a risk without antibiotics and a relatively crude way of anaesthetising the area being amputated (I would suggest cooling it with ice for several minutes).
    You would definitely need two people to do this (one to hold the dragon the other to cut through).

15. sgun020

yeah,the vet would probably want to see in person before giving advice.

i'll see if the infection is still there or it's gone better after some sheds came off...so far the infected part stays the same.

if i were to amputate the tail myself,i'm sure alto is going to hate me :'(

16. sgun020

i went to check out alto today and though the tail is still discoloured,the mushy area isn't mushy and limp as it was last week,so i take it as a progress...however small.he seems to be more aware of the lower part of his tail like he used to.

he ate 2 small rats today...happily...so i got the lights back on and he looked happier.

17. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

18. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I couldn`t see any specific places where the skin still needed to be shed, I could see a part that was smaller in diameter to the other which indicates dead tissue?
    The process of removing the tail tip is quite simple and would not necessarily be any more painful than the injury that happened previously, and less so than the infection.
    If the infection is now clear, then the dead part will just fall off at some point, I hope that is what will happen.
    Keep checking, if you notice the tail further up decreasing in diameter the infection is still there, and in my opinion action will be needed asap (amputation).

19. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

I think instead of measuring from the tip of the tail to the top of the infected area measure instead from the base of the tail (by his legs) to the top of the infected part. This will give a more accurate view on whether the infection is spreading upwards. Especially if the tip of the tail ends up falling off.

20. sgun020

hello

thanks for the link,it's very helpful...there are some medical terms i don't get but i'll ask my friend who's a medical student to help out.

i'll keep checking to see if the infection spreads upwards,he shed skin on the darkened area near the tip...the colour has changed to grey,but some still need to shed.

the greenish area seems to have decreased,if my eyes don't play tricks on me...but i will measure from the base of the tail to the top of the infected area to be sure the infection doesn't spread further.

many thanks for everyone's help...i'll keep you updated,hope it's cleared now,if not soon.