This Disappears When Logged In

Free Roamer Lighting

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by Dor26, Jun 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dor26

Dor26 Active Member

Hello!

I am looking for advice on making sure that my free-roamer, Rocky, gets enough UVB light throughout the day. He has been difficult these past few weeks, and he doesn't stay where he used to. I move his light to wherever he is, but it's not ideal. I have an outdoor cage for him to get 1 hour of natural sun in the summer, but it has been raining this past week, and I'm concerned about the 8 hours he is supposed to get indoors. The light I have is in an aquarium lid and it is very awkward to move to the different spots he has been choosing to hang out in. I was hoping to find a UVB bulb that could fit into a clamp fixture or something, but I don't know if they make such a thing.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

--Rini, Rocky's mom

2. Kirsty

Kirsty Elite Member

There is such a thing its called reptisun power sun I think. I've heard loads of people talking about them althoug i've never used one myself.

Hope this helps.

3. Lyn

Lyn Elite Member

Even better would be the Mega Ray bulbs...better UVB! www.reptileuv.com is the url. check them out...for a clamp lamp that will be moved, the self ballasted lamps would be best...I use them and they are great.....

4. Kirsty

Kirsty Elite Member

My tank is only 2 foot high would it still be safe to fit a mega ray bulb or would my ig be too close to the lamp??

5. Kirsty

Kirsty Elite Member

My ig is only a baby that is why he is a smaller tank 4'x1.5'x2', incase you wondered.

6. empoyner

empoyner Established Member

Kirsty,

The 100 watt MegaRay requires a minimum distance of 12" from the light to the back of the iguana.

7. XBurner

XBurner Elite Member

Well, I'll tell ya how I have my set up... and it's just a perch that I've posted pics of in another thread. It's basically just a three tier perch that he sits on. Bud will sit in his sleeping box or on his heat rock until I get up, I'll turn on the lights and he'll come down within a few minutes and sit under the lights. He knows where to go for his heat, and that's the only place I offer it to him. I just prefer to have it that way, just so I'm not going through what you are. He knows where to go for heat and food, and it's all in one place. If he doesn't go there, then he goes cold and hungry, heh. It's just in his mind frame, I guess. Bud's also a lot more tame and docile than I've ever seen any other iguana, so I don't know if that's a factor or not. He'll go out exploring into the living room, kitchen and the bathroom... crawling around on everything, but when he gets cold, he goes back to my room to sit under the lights, gets recharged after a few minutes, goes right back out. Keeping an iguana on a stable free-roam is kind of a science... it's also about discipline and letting him know where his boundries are.

So I guess my advice is... don't cater to him. Some iguana's have the sensibility to feel for themselves when they want heat. Anything else might set them off defensively like it sounds like yours is doing. I'd suggest to just leave his light/s on a certain spot and let him decide for himself when he wants heat or his UV.

8. edge flyer

edge flyer Active Member

I have the megaray 60 EB and its a great bulb. reptile uv . com is the site to purchase one.

9. SurvivorSteph

SurvivorSteph Subscribed User Premium Member

If I'm not mistaken, you have to allow the MegaRay bulbs cool completely before you move them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.