This Disappears When Logged In

Framing a 7' Tall and 5' Wide Vivarium?

Discussion in 'General Construction' started by tmw1093, Aug 19, 2010.

1. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

I'm going to start building my viv in about a month or two, and I was wondering, do I need to frame it? It sounds to me, from what everyone else has posted about their enclosures, that framing isn't really needed... you can just use plywood to build a box and you will be set. Is this true, or is there a size limit beyond which a 2x4 frame is absolutely needed? I thought maybe that it would helpful for securing branches and other things, and that I could put insulation between the studs to save on heating a little bit. It also might be nice to route the wires through the walls... any suggestions?

2. venus

venus Founding Member

In case I missed it, what are you building an enclosure for?

3. tmw1093

tmw1093 Active Member

a chinese water dragon

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I would use a frame - plywood often comes to you a little bent or warped. I have made a cage for my small boa (nowhere near as big as your proposed dimensions) and regret not framing it. It's still workable, but it's a bit of a pain.

5. jeepguy

jeepguy Elite Member

That size enclosure I would frame out.

6. kronik070

kronik070 Elite Member

you can use 1x2s to frame out the enclosure to keep the weight down

7. injunjoe

injunjoe Well-Known Member

You will need a frame at the size enclosure you mention not only will it make it sturdy but the enclosure is bigger then a sheet of plywood.

Also at that size the front will be huge. I would plan the size around the glass you will need for the door. I would get the glass first and plan the build around it's dimensions. With a month or so until the build it gives you time to hunt down a good deal on the glass.

8. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

Frame it! the plywood if it has no structure will give you massive problems with the door and it will bow on the sides with a cage that size do it right once. Water dragons need alot of humidity and that and wood are not a good combo for just plywood boxes. also spend alot of time on sealing the wood if not mold will become a big problem..