This Disappears When Logged In

Found Mites On My New Ball Python 12 Hours After Taking Home

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by aplasticchair, Nov 1, 2017.

1. aplasticchair

aplasticchair New Member

Just brought home my new ball python last night, looked this morning and confirmed he had mites in his eyes and under his scales. I just showered and removed my ball python. I was wondering if they might have already spread to the other snakes I own? I checked my kingsnake and he seemed fine. Other than cleaning the ball python tank, should I be fine?

2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

It could have depending on the extent of the infestation. Just incase, I would put double sided tape completely around all of your enclosures, and give all your animals a soak and check the water for mites. The infected individuals will need cottonseed oil bath and will need to be on paper towel substrate for the time being. Be prepared to kill atleast a couple generations of mites. They also have mite treatments you can buy.

3. aplasticchair

aplasticchair New Member

I went back to the reptile store I bought him at, the guy removed as many mites as he could and bathed him in a mite soak. I then went home and soaked him myself in a water solution with the spray mixed in, and dunked him in for about 15 min. The guy said it didn't look like there were any eggs. Probably in a few weeks i'll need to clean everything out again and soak him right?

4. TamJam

TamJam Elite Member

Sorry about this nuisance, it's a real drag! Hope you get through successfully with the treatment.

5. AmityReptiles

You can't usually see the mites unless they are engorged and adult size, let alone mite eggs. Plus, mites usually lay eggs in the enclosure, not on the actual snake.
    Usually once you see them they are very well established.
    I wouldn't trust this guy with mite advice... especially after he sold you an infested animal.
    I would still switch to paper towels, and use the oil. And isolate the animal with double sided tape around the enclosure. The paper towels and double sided tape will help you see if there are still mites as well.
    Also watch your snakes behavior, they will often soak themselves in the water dish excessively when they are infested.

6. aplasticchair

aplasticchair New Member

maybe in a week or so when i change the substrate in the tank ill go to paper towels. I just got the snake, so the chances of there being eggs are minimal right? I rinsed the snake totally in first the mite-off, then a longer soak in a diluted solution of the same stuff. I totally cleaned the tank, and added back new substrate. There were still a few mites left on him I couldn't get, but I'm assuming they're dead if anything? they weren't moving when i was poking at them. I added the tape around the top for now, to keep mites from getting out. I'll go with the oil next time I treat him and see.

7. AmityReptiles

Good question, probably a decent chance though. It only takes them a few minutes to lay eggs I think?
    The reason we do oil is because it suffocates the mites on contact. It's one of the easier ways to kill them. Just fyi. Water doesn't work nearly as well.