This Disappears When Logged In

Found A New Hiding Spot

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by annaj328, May 20, 2016.

1. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

IMG_20160520_092905429.jpg
    First found him like this yesterday. I know he can get out cuz he was out last night and wedged right back in this morning. Little weirdo.

2. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

"If I Fitz, I sitz" , lol. All the money we spend on hides......
    Seriously though, it may be that you need to look for a smaller hide for it. Most snakes prefer a tight fitting hide with only one entrance. Of course, even with other good options, it may still end up behind the foam.

3. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

Is the heat mat mounted on that side of the tank?

4. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

It is not, it's underneath and there is still plenty of bedding between him and the floor of the cage so I'm not too worried about him burning himself. The fun part is all the noise he now makes at night moving the styrofoam against the glass!

I am trying to think of a way to make his current hides more snug. I do stuff moss into his hides but I guess that's not doing it for him. I'll think of something. Or I'll buy some supper cheap plastic hide boxes at the Baltimore repticon next weekend! Super excited about that

5. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

What kind of hides does he have? My snakes seem to prefer rounded hides over ones with flat walls or edges.
    You could try stuffing them with moss or substrate, that's what I did for baby garters.

6. toddnbecka

toddnbecka Well Established Member

If you're excited about the Baltimore Repticon you really should check out the Hamburg PA reptile show. Much bigger, and even though you can't bring any back to MD there are always venomous snakes available there as well as thousands of non-venomous snakes, lizards, etc.

7. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I'm a cheap SOB, most of my hides are old butter tubs or whatever with a hole cut into them.
    And if that heat mat isn't on a thermostat or something, get one. You can't depend on a layer of substrate to protect your snake, in fact it will make the problem worse by insulating the heat source. So the temps climb even more, then when the snake inevitably shoves the substrate around, you could have a very bad situation.

8. annaj328

annaj328 Elite Member

Hi all. Quick update. I used some ramikins and little sauce dishes and put then in the middle of each hide along with some moss just to take up space. I also shoved the foam back and put a lot of bedding into the corner he was using for access. So far he is back in his normal hides. He never uses his warm hide. I may still look for a smaller option but he used to us it when it was on the cold side. His heat mat is on a thermostat set to 91f. I think he just prefers to be cooler. Eating and pooping fine so I don't worry too much.

Darkbird likes this.