This Disappears When Logged In

Found a Few Salamanders

Discussion in 'Salamanders & Newts' started by Devilwmn, Jul 26, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

Ok so today my kids brought home a few salamanders. I believe they are Northern Dusky Salamanders but not positive. The girls really want to keep them and told me to go on the lizard site and talk to you guys about it lol I have a tank and lid i can use for them and can easily get any other things i may need. But my question is, will they survive in captivity? Wyoming is under 50* for 9 months of the year and below 30* for 5 months. This is the first time i have seen salamanders here since i was a kid so i know they arent thriving here. I can not find a caresheet anywhere other than yahoo and i dont trust that site one bit so please weigh in your opinions. Right now they are in a tub with distilled water and a lid for them to climb up on. They have not been handled other than when my kids picked them up. Please give me honest opinions

Attached Files:

2. Wynd

Wynd Elite Member

Aw, they are so itty! I am no help but had to say how adorable they are :x

3. Devilwmn

Devilwmn Elite Member

After looking onour local game and fish site i found out they are tiger salamanders if that helps at all. They are not adult and thats why they dont have the vibrant stripes yet

4. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

I think they can get pretty large!

5. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

Devilwmn, I am not positive about this but I spent a few years on the western side of Wy. and I do believe that the sals burrow underground out there for the winter. I am not sure of their needs either so I will just say they are cute little buggers and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

6. Iggysmommie

Iggysmommie Elite Member

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Do not use distilled water! True distilled water has had the minerals removed from it and it will suck the mineral salts right out thru the sallies skin.

8. tortoiseman

tortoiseman Member

they are not Northern Dusky Salamanders. if they are tigers, they can reach 11in.

9. Pharoahound

Pharoahound Elite Member

These threads are really old..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.