This Disappears When Logged In

For Those of You Who Are Curious...:)

Discussion in 'Herp Photos' started by SweetDragonlady, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure that the pothos will work in there. With the temperatures that you need you would be better off with desert type plants. Thornless cacti and succulants. Remember these lizards are native to the desert SW not the rainforest.

2. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

You might want to try a Jade tree. Some sort of succulent.

3. SweetDragonlady

SweetDragonlady Elite Member

Would an aloe fare well in those temps?

4. Merlin

Yes and there are small species of aloe that won't grow thru the roof of your terrarium!

5. belle

belle Elite Member

If you guys are having trouble piecing something together to put the bulb in, why not just buy a lamp? You can get them easily at the big box chain stores or online.

I'm glad to see that this little guy is still alive and happy!

My only other concern is for the denim. How often are you cleaning it/removing it? I'm always worried about the build up of bacteria/poo, etc. I'm not very well read on the substrates for these guys, but anything that isn't normally used usually poses a question for me. It's a creative idea, none the less.

6. SweetDragonlady

I change it at least once a week and wash it. I have two pieces that fit the bottom exactly. I trade them when its time for cleaning. The flexibility of the material means I can keep all the debris on the cloth and not have to remove the decor or the lizard from the cage during the switch. Then I wash the one I took out in the washing machine and put it on the shelf under the cage for the next switch! :)

7. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

I have a question as well... You said you have nothing between your dragon and the uvb. What kind of UVB and at what strength do you have?

Many bulbs will say full spectrum but do not produce uvb, and most of the aquarium hoods take the 2 smaller bulbs rather than a long one...

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

As long as you are removing it and washing it when its soiled, then you are OK. Its not really any different than repti-carpet.

9. SweetDragonlady

First.. He's a collard, not a dragon. ;) but we'll forgive you for that. :)

Second.. unfortunately I've lost the package and can't remember the strength of the bulb, but fortunately I did post that information when I first started setting up the tank! :) Its not a full spectrum bulb it did say UVB on it specifically and I think it said "up to 12 inches" but to be certain I would have to find my original thread. :) Thanks for your concern for my little guy though! Its good to know that someone out there is watching my P's and Q's! :)

10. Merlin

LOL! As far as p's and q's, its collared, not collard.
    Collards are greens!;)
    The name collared refers to the black "collar" around their neck.

It is an 18" 15 watt Reptisun 5.0 UVB bulb.
    I peeked at your old post!;)

11. fire2225ems

fire2225ems Subscribed User Premium Member

Sorry about that... Guess it was something about the name... sweetDRAGONlady.... :p

12. SweetDragonlady

pfft!:p A collard would be one of those green things I'm supposed to try to feed him then!:D Sorry ... I never was very good at spelling in school. :) I'm trying to change my ways now though. ;) .... (Note to self : Change spelling in signature! :p )

13. SweetDragonlady

My name comes from my love of Anne McCaffrey's Pern novels. :) I own all but a few of them. The two latest ("Dragon Harper" and "Dragonheart"), "The Atlas of Pern", and a pair I hadn't heard of till recently that I can't recall the names of at the moment. That means I own 21 Pern novels. For those of you who haven't a clue what I'm talking about, :) Pern is another planet where people have had to develope dragons in order to save themselves from a thread-like organism that falls from the sky and eats anything organic. The dragons fire burns it from the sky before it can touch anything. A dragon upon hatching bonds with a human and is attached to that human for life. The human and their dragon can talk to each other through telepathy. ... That's as basic as I can get without going on and on all night for hours and hours. :p So if you want to know more ... Go to your local library!! :p Author and name of series above. :D

14. Merlin

LOL I have them and have read the entire series,...twice!

15. SweetDragonlady

Even the newest ones by her son?! :cool: I'm so jealous! :p I'm still working on getting those. ;) I have Dragon Harper on audio and have listened to it, but a bit of the tail end of each chapter is missing. I can't wait to be able to afford the last few books I'm missing! The Atlas specially is a bit pricey. :( I even belong to a Pern fan club for which I have written a couple of stories and drew the picture I'm using as my avatar. :) His name is Jesserth. :)

16. Merlin

Well I admit I haven't read the books by Todd twice. But I have read them. They are a bit different than his mom's but he has potential.
    I even got my wife hooked on them when we got together and when she got to the last one by Anne she got very upset when I told her that was all there was!

17. SweetDragonlady

LOL! My hubby (Reinovator) got me hooked on them. :D He got me 8 in hard bound for Christmas. :) If we ever get a divorce there will be a major fight over books! :p (Anne McCaffrey, Andre Norton, and the "Myth Adventures" series. But then, we're both too stubborn for that to ever happen. ;) Not to mention too in love. :eek:

18. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

I don't care much for Todd's writing. My favorite Pern novel will always be Moreta. Makes me cry every time.

19. Auburnreptile

Auburnreptile Member

Just a quick note on collard lizards:
    Heat: Daytime 80-90, Basking 95-110; Nighttime 75-85.
    Uvb: 10.0 flo bulb or merc vapor
    Suppliments: Recal w/d3 and Herptivite(or equivlent)
    Substrate: A good reptile grade sand is suitable. Bone aid, zoo med, etc
    Water: daily misting in the morning or water offered 2-3 times a week.
    Tank size: as large as possible. Collard lizards like to run.
    Feed: Primarly insects and small(pinkies) rodents as adults.
    Decor: Just have fun with it :)

20. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Most of those artificial calcium sands come with a high risk of (potentially lethal) impaction. It is more advisable to use regular play sand. It can also be rinsed to remove it of the dust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.