This Disappears When Logged In

For All Those Whose Snake Will Not Tame

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by PJ3, Jul 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PJ3

PJ3 New Member

When I got my BRB he was very wild and would bite me everytime I put my hand in there. But now since I put a recently worn shirt in there, he doesn't bite. The reason for this is because your shirt being in the cage allows the snake to get use to you. So when you put your hand in there, he doesn't bite you out of fear.

2. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

That's a good trick. :)
    Here's another: With some big, ground-dwelling snakes that like to bite, you can also toss a light weight towel over their head. Then when you reach in to take them out, they realize that they are just being picked up and don't immediately sense a warm hand coming that could be food!

3. venus

venus Founding Member

Awesome tips, thanks for the info.

4. barnkat

barnkat Elite Member

The shirt trick does work with a lot of reptiles, although I usually use an old flannel or cotton nightshirt that I have slept in a couple of times without washing it. I have used it with all my lizards and some of my snakes. We also use it with cats and dogs (kittens and puppies) when we first bring them into the fold. I also do it with my baby lambs. It's one of those things we don't think to mention to newbies, as we do it automatically. Currently Pidge has the shirt (he/she is a baby pigeon who fell out of the nest, and the cats were trying to eat him). I have to tube feed him every 4 hours, so need him to think I'm the "food mommy". Freya (Iguana) and Zena (Tegu) both still like to sleep with some piece of my clothing. The Savannah's don't care if its my clothing, it has to be fleece and bright red though, or they're not happy. lol. My oldest daughter always used the small towel with the Jungle-Carpet Diamond cross, as he doesn't like her to mess with him.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.