This Disappears When Logged In

Foot's Falling Off! Help!

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by AmandaH, Jul 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Since I got my gecko a couple months ago, she's had shedding on her back foot that hasn't come off.
    I didn't think much of it until I noticed she had lost a couple toes. Just today I tried to get the months-old shedding off by soaking her foot in hot water and nudging the shedding with a q-tip, and it looks like her entire foot is about to come off.
    I couldn't get the shedding off without seemingly separating her foot from her body. I'm pretty sure there is no saving the foot at this point (it breaks my heart just thinking about it!) but I don't know what to do.
    Do I just let it fall off naturally?
    What can I do to prevent the spread of infection? Please help!!

2. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

You can take her to a vet and see if there is any chance of saving it (which there may not be) if that's the case, they can amputate, and save it some suffering.

3. nicole

nicole Elite Member

There is absolutely nothing that anyone on a forum can do, to help with a foot rotting off. There is no home remedy, or anything for that situation.

Please take that animal to a vet. If you cannot afford to do that please find a rescue in your area that is willing to take the gecko and get it the medical care it so desperately needs.

4. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

That is just horrible!:( You will have to get to a vet and it is not to save the foot but to save the gecko!

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

Yes I agree a vet visit is what's in order here. Good luck and keep us posted.

6. Orca

Orca Elite Member

I know for this area, reptile vets aren't that expensive compared to those for cats and dogs. They are just few and far between. The site has a link where you can locate the nearest one to you.
    Reptile Vet Finder

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You need a vet! If the foot is so far deteriorated that it is about to fall off there has been infection that may very well have spread into the body. Time is essential!

8. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Ugh and NO HOT WATER. Just slightly warm to the touch! Lets not burn her too. Vet NOW.

9. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Thanks everyone. I figured she would need to visit the vet as it's too late to do much else, but I just wanted to see if there was anything I could do in the meantime. I dabbed some neosporin on her foot with a q-tip, hopefully that is ok. And just for clarification, I didn't soak her foot in hot water (sorry - poor wording choice on my part), it was just a little above skin temperature - like baby bath temp. She seemed to like it.

10. schlegelbagel

After the vet visit, lets figure out WHY she isn't shedding right and correct it.

11. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

She was living in poor conditions prior to living with me. She only had one (dry) hide spot, and a dish of water. That's it! When I got her both her back feet had old shed on them. Now though, it's just the one foot, and I think once this clears up, she won't have any more issues. Hopefully.

12. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Well, I took Joanna to the vet today. I was happy to find out that the doctor had geckos of her own, so that made me more confident in her diagnosis.

She thinks a portion of her foot can be salvaged, but a chunk is going to fall off. She says to soak her foot in warm water once or twice a day and to gently nudge her foot with a q-tip to encourage the dead chunk to fall off. If it doesn't in a few days, then I'll take her back to the vet (free of charge, which is nice) and the doctor will take it off herself. She also said to temporarily remove the bark I have in her cage so that little pieces don't get stuck in her foot. I've replaced the section with bark with newspaper for now.

Meanwhile, I have some Baytril (antibiotic) to give her to prevent infection. There's some inflamation on her foot now that could already be an infection, but the doctor said this should clear it up.

The antibiotic is 50/50 Baytril and karo syrup, so I assume Joanna won't mind drinking it, but do you have any advice on how to give it to her? The doctor said to nudge the side of her mouth and she'll open up, or to get her lips wet with it and she'll naturally lick, but if you have any other ideas I'd appreciate it. Thanks for all your help!

13. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Do you have a humid hide in there for the gecko? That will definitely help with the shedding. And if there are still bits left on the toes (Blink always seems to manage that despite my attempts :rolleyes:), there are ways to gently remove the skin so it doesn't build up and cause more tissue loss.

EDIT: (didn't see you post-vet posting)
    If she won't take the medicine willingly, you can rub the side of her mouth to cause it to open on reflex. And do you have bark for the substrate throughout the tank? If you do, you need to take it out. You don't want your gecko to get impacted if she consumes any of it. Use paper towel for now to keep everything sanitary.
    Good luck and keep us posted!

14. wildheart

wildheart Elite Member

Thanks for taking the advice and taking Joanna to the vet, you really gave us a scare there!;)

I hope she will be ok with only half a foot. How is the medicine going?

15. schlegelbagel

Yep, bark is bad. Since AFTs need more humidity, when everything is all healed, try some eco-earth, but paper towels are fine too.

16. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

She doesn't like the medicine at all. I have to put a drop on her lips and wait until she licks it. In fact, she tries to get away now when I try to pick her up, and she hasn't eaten since I started :(. It also doesn't seem like the dead skin tissue is going to come off its own so I'll probably take her back to the vet in the next couple days.

17. AmandaH

AmandaH Active Member

Just a quick update - Joanna went to the vet last night to get that portion of her foot removed. There was a little blood, but thankfully it looks good. She'll probably have a nub from now on, but she's doing good and is still on antibiotics for the next week. :)

18. schlegelbagel

That's great to hear the rest was amputated. Do whatever you have to do, to get her to take her meds. If you pick her up and hold her firm, and tap the corner of her mouth with the syringe, she should open up.

Make sure she takes the entire course, she may not eat at all, but as long as her tail isn't rail thin, she will manage OK. She will gain your trust again eventually, but its going to take time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.