This Disappears When Logged In

Flying geckos?

Discussion in 'Geckos - Other' started by CodyW, Sep 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I went into the pet shop today and was shocked to find it packed with people buying and shopping, and the staff was actually answering questions intelligently not capatalistically (if thats not it word it needs to be one :D ). Anyways as I waited to get my crix I picked up the new REPTILES mag and noticed the article "Flying geckos the perfect pet" or something along that line. I read the article and became intrigued, however it said in the article that most of this species are wild caught, and the price on the ones in the store make me think these are too.

I know all the precautions with wild caught pets and I myself am against the idea, thats why I want to know what everyone thinks, should I risk it and pick one up or wait and get something bred in captivity. *they didnt show any signs of mites (red dots) .

2. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

I personally love the flying geckos. I had a female some years ago that I cherished very much. She was my baby! Sadly, she somehow disappeared one day, and I have yet to figure out how and where she went :( Anyway, enough of that. If I were you I'd get one, just from the experiences I had with mine. I think they're amazing. 'Course few of my herps are captive bred anyway, except Lex and handful of frogs. When I first bought Draco though, I didn't notice the 3 mites till I got her home, but by that time I was already too attached, so I took her back to the store and explained to them what I found. They didn't even know what red dots were! Anyway, I'm rambling, but I really love the flying geckos and if you can provide one with the proper home then I say go for it.

3. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I've decided not to get the flying geckos. The store sold the smaller one, the one I wanted, and upon further thought on the topic of wild caught I decided the risks were not worth it. I would have had to put her into a natural viv with substrate and there the mites would have been able to take over. And there was always the risks of an infestation and having the small baby cresteds I decided it wasn't worth it.
    Thanks for the info though Matt, I really wanted one, this twelve step program seems to be working too well for me, and thats too bad :(

4. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I'm agains w/c also but I think mites are the least of the problems, Repti Relief is just awesome. I would worry more about parasites infecting the rest of my friends.

5. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Oh well. Maybe more people will start breeding them. I'm sure the CB population will grow with time, they really are spectacular lizards. I've been to a website where the person had successfully bred her flyers, so maybe more will catch on. Man, once I get settled somewhere I really should become a breeder.

6. venus

venus Founding Member

They look very awesome. I am thinking of adding a couple to my collection.

7. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

With proper handling they really tame nicely, and they're so soft! Its a shame most are WC :(

8. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

Yes it is or I would have a pair right now :mad:

I was too worried about transfering anything to my captive lizs who probably don't have the same immunity of those from the wild.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.