This Disappears When Logged In

Fluorescent Fixture

Discussion in 'Habitat Lighting' started by otaku_femme, Sep 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. otaku_femme

otaku_femme Member

I recently ordered an 18" Repti-Sun 5.0 light for the tank for my yet-to-be-purchased beardie.

I'm looking for a nice fixture for the light. I went to Home Depot, but the only 18" fixture they had was kind of bulky, especially considering I'm hoping to put the light IN the tank (right under the screen cover). Does anyone know where I could find a sleeker fluorescent fixture? Thanks. ^_^

2. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

I use either the regular aquarium type light fisture or there is a new slim-line light available at petco and petsmart. I think esreptile makes it. It was $27.99 with a 5.0 bulb.

3. venus

venus Founding Member

The slimlines are great, I have a few of those. They are not bulky and easily mounted anywhere.

4. Dominick

Dominick Founding Member

Just curious if anyone is measuring UVB output on these lamps?

5. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

The uvb is good up to about 12" away, any further than that and you lose most of the output. I need to get a meter.

6. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

Ill be using my old aquarium light fixtures for on top of my screen tanks. Then I will just build up a basking spot for the animal inside...(that's my plan anyhow! lol:p)

I'll have to check out those slim line lights to though :)

7. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

The fine mesh of a standard screen lid blocks out almost all usefull uvb, I cut out a section and sew in 1/2" hardware cloth. It's a galvanized screen for small animal pens. This allows the uvb to get through.

8. otaku_femme

otaku_femme Member

Does anyone know if the Repti-Sun 5.0 would fit in the Slimline fixture? If not I suppose I could return the Repti-Sun bulb...but that's a bit of a hassle since I ordered it online.

9. Jay DeMore

Jay DeMore Elite Member

Yes it does. So does the desert sun 7.0. Its a pretty standard fitting.

10. otaku_femme

otaku_femme Member

Thanks Jay, just wanted to make sure. ^_^

11. Jem_Scout

Jem_Scout Elite Member

I have "tough tops" brand covers for mine. Its a metal sceening. Will that still block too much UBV? And if so, how can I attatch the light (or new fixture) to the underside of the screen top?

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If it is the kind I am thinking of it has a mesh about 1/8 inch square. That will let the light thru. It's the fine mesh window screen type that is a problem.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.