This Disappears When Logged In

Flexwatt and...

Discussion in 'Heating' started by Knox, Jun 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Knox

Knox Elite Member

If I were to put a 1ft sq. ceramic tile on top of an 11" section of Flexwatt, would the Flex heat the tile up enough to give a hot spot for the snakes? Would the heat radiate enough to heat the 2x4x16" high enclosure?

If you were putting flexwatt inside a plywood enclosure, how would you do it?

Thanks!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

3. Knox

Knox Elite Member

That is awesome! Thanks for the link. I will read it tonight.

Seriously, thank you.

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I wouldn't use flexwatt heat tape. lol I use it for my leos, but not the snakes. I would use a radiant heat panel adhered to the ceiling. ;)

5. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Hmmm, never heard of those, but I am off to google it right now.

6. MoogleBass

MoogleBass Kittes are so nice! Premium Member

Dont put anthing over the flex watt or enclouse it. IE betwen tile and plywood. Youll have 150+ hot spot in hours. Mine did and was a big no no. I wondered why the snakes were in the cool moist hide lol.

Put it on the bottom of the ply wood and youll be fine. Use foil tape to adhear it. As a rule the Flexwatt should never be in with the animal. Youll have to fine tune it a bit but the wood will hold the heat.

I have the same size of tank and use 2ft of 11"

Wiring Flexwatt Heat Tape

7. Knox

Knox Elite Member

Thanks, Moogle... Those radiant heat panels are Expensive!

8. Rich

Another alternative would be the cobra heat mat. They are literally insulated flexwatt for use in and outside of the enclosure. Try looking them up to see what I mean.

9. venus

venus Founding Member

10. Knox

Knox Elite Member

The help you all are giving me is very much apreciated.

11. venus

venus Founding Member

What, you mean putting you in debt.

12. Knox

Knox Elite Member

My original estimate DOES seem a bit low now :eek:

13. MoogleBass

Cobra heat pads arent insulated....Thats KANE that your thinking about. They are over priced too. Cobras are just flex wat that is a bit thicker. Atleast mine was.

14. Rich

Let me change insulated to "laminated". lol They have an outer protective covering (clear) and you can see the flex watt inside.

I am not sure how much they cost. I ordered them through my account with my distributor. (So I got them at wholesale price opposed to retail.)

15. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

I'm not sure what everyone else is using but I believe the ones that have a controllable thermostat would be better to get your temps.

16. Rich

Everything I use is attached to either a rheostat or a light dimmer. (Which if you know how to wire, is great and inexpensive.) They operate just like a rheostat and control the electrical flow to whatever is plugged in.

17. MoogleBass

I think one for a 10 gallon is like 10 bucks or something. Flexwatt is cheaper I think anyway.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.