This Disappears When Logged In

Flagellated Protozoa In Cwd

Discussion in 'Herp Health' started by Lili, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

Hi All,

Yesterday I brought my 1.5 year old Chinese water dragon to the vet for a check-up, x-ray and stool sample examination. Everything is OK with the lizard - good coloration, no problems with the bones, eyes, etc. In short - he is very healthy, according to the vet.

Today I received the results from the stool sample:

Fecal test results for water dragon:
    Sample from water, refrigerated.

Direct smear: ++(+) positive; flagellated protozoa.
    Fuelleborn Flotation: - , negative

What the lab lady told me over the phone was that the number of protozoa was a low one and it is very possible that the bacteria comes from the water in which the lizard defecated ( a large heated pool in his terrarium), rather than his intestines. I'll take him to the vet for a more thorough examination in a few months, as if I understood correctly, there is no cause for alarm at this moment. Meanwhile, I'll monitor his appetite, growth rate, etc.

My question is has this happened to your reptile and do you have any advice for me? Is there any way to treat the water in order to eliminate the bacteria? The water is filtered, but it seem that that's not enough...

Thank you!

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

How often do you change the water?

3. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

Once per week, but I scoop up what he poops right after he goes to toilet and clean his "pee" from the bottom every 2nd-3rd day. The pool is approx. 78 liters / 20 gallons, water is heated to 28 C / 82 F , filtered by a big enough active carbon water filter. There are no aquatic plants, just a disinfected log and few shells/pebbles for decoration.

4. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Did she say what levels are dangerous?
    Many reptiles are hosts to different (I'll say organisms since I don't know the proper term) which if the reptile is healthy, don't pose a health threat.

5. Lili

Lili Well-Known Member

She said that they are just present in the sample, but not at levels which would indicate infestation. And advised for a cloacal probe in order to determine whenever the buggers are in his intestines or only in his poop (in which case they have just "attached" to it after it went into the water).

I asked via mail if they know which type of protozoa it is, since Reptile magazine write that Monocercomonas species and Hexamita species are a big threat, I'm still waiting for a reply.

kriminaal likes this.