This Disappears When Logged In

First Time Owner (questions And Recommendations)

Discussion in 'Leopard Geckos' started by GreenGalad, Oct 22, 2017.

1. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

Hi guys, yesterday I got my first reptile, a female Leopard Gecko, about 1 year old from a good breeder. I have been researching their needs for a long time, I have a good setup, with good temperature gradient, 3 hides, and her food has been gut loading.

Yesterday she choose a hide and stayed there until night when she got out to explore. Today I tried to feed her mealworms with some tongs but she wasn't interested and I was nervous so I think I scared her a little, I left her alone, put the mealworms in a dish and I will be leaving it in her enclosure.

If she doesn't eat any mealworms tonight should I try with dubia tomorrow?

Or should I leave her alone so she can calm down for a few days?

Thanks for your answers!

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, you should allow the gecko time to fully acclimate to the enclosure for a week or two, just do enclosure maintenance including leaving the food and clean drinking water, etc.
    Just for the sake of asking, can you say exactly what the temps and humidity ranges are and how you measure those?

GreenGalad likes this.
  3. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

Sure! The hot side is at 88, the cool side at 78, the humidity is at 50 %, i got my heat mat connected to a thermostat so i use that to control de temperature, i'm thinking of buying a laser temperature gun to make sure that i got the temps right thought.

4. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

Another question, she dosn't seem to take any interest in the mealworms (two nights in a row), should I give her some dubias? And if so, should i just dump them in her enclosure and wait for her to hunt?

5. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

The temps sound o.k, I think it`s just that the gecko hasn`t had time to fully acclimate to the enclosure, so just keep leaving some food (including the Dubia roaches) and don`t disturb the animal at all for now. Can you show a few photos of the whole enclosure?

6. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

Here are some photos, i use tiles for the substrate, i have 3 hides, 1 in the warm side an 2 in the cool side (one of them is the moist one) and a few dishes and fake plants. The enclosure itself is 80x40x45 (cm)
    a0wT1X5.jpg
    [​IMG]

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Thanks for the photo, is there a dish with calcium in there?

8. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

Yes, is the litte blue cap

murrindindi likes this.
  9. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Personally I would have covered the two sides to offer more privacy by fixing some cardboard/similar (tape it around the top and bottom edges on the outside).

10. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

I will do that. Another question, how many days can the gecko go without eating? She hasn't eating anything in 5 days.

11. waagyl

waagyl Active Member

They store fat in their tail, so I wouldn't worry as long as her tail isn't getting smaller. They are quite shy creatures sometimes so I wouldn't worry. My leos will only go after moving prey also so if the worms aren't squiggling that may be it. But I agree with the above comments that they are just adjusting. You really sound like you care and that warms my heart! You're gonna be a great lizard parent!

12. GreenGalad

GreenGalad Member

Good news, today i found the mealworm dish near empty! I'm relieved to see that she's starting to eat even if i don't see her do it. I will be in the lookout for her feces to confirm that she ate something.

Thank you guys for the tips!!

waagyl likes this.