This Disappears When Logged In

First Time Hognose Keeper

Discussion in 'Hognose Snakes' started by cgenebrewer, Feb 7, 2012.

1. cgenebrewer

cgenebrewer Member

Hey guys, just adopted a western hognose, around 6 months of age. He is now the second snake I have, with the first being a ball python I got for half off from PetSmart for being very cage aggressive.

I see that this subforum is relatively new? only two threads popping up, so I figured I would add something.

Any hog specific tips from seasoned keepers? Perhaps things I will not find in care guides?

Thanks,
    Christian

2. mld

mld Subscribed User Premium Member

Welcome!
    I'm sure a hognose owner will be by to give you some tips!

It's a very new section, and hopefully will become more popular as these hognoses are getting to be.

3. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

There really aren't any "tips" for hognose. Their care is so basic, about identical to a corn snake. Just feed once a week, provide a hot side of around 85-90 degrees and a cool side around 70-75, unless your house is extremely dry (like 10%) they don't really need extra humidity and can live in a 20 gallon long for their entire life.

4. mld

Sounds like the perfect snake to care for!

5. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

They are! The only other thing would be to change the water several times a week, but that was obvious. Oh, and the funnest part, holding them!

6. mld

Have you ever had one that played dead? I've seen videos of people field herping and this happened, felt sorry for the little guys!

7. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I found a wild Eastern that played dead, but I haven't seen a Western do it yet. Captive bred westerns usually don't, but instead flatten their necks like a cobra and hiss, but they hardly ever do that either.

8. mld

Yes, I've seen that! huff and puff, too cute! And the pretend strike, too cute!

9. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

Oh yea, their closed mouth strike, to funny! Mine has actually never done any of that, I have only seen it in other people's.

10. thefish3341

thefish3341 Active Member

I don't have any tips to add for their care, as mentioned before it's pretty basic. My western has hissed at me once back within the first week or so I had him. I was taking him out to put him in his feeding box and must have woken him up from a mid day nap so I got a hiss but nothing more.

I've known people with difficulty in trying to get their hognoses to eat f/t mice (much more common in easterns than westerns). Has yours had any issues?

11. kik

kik Well-Known Member

Hello !

I also have hognoses (a pair)... If you've got any questions ask :)...I don't really have problem to feed them with mice... Maybe the male is a little bit more shy and sometimes prefer eating small mice (pinkies), but he eats good...

12. Jflores

Jflores Elite Member

I too haven't seen any play dead, however a friend of mine who started breeding them last season, did tell that two of his hatchlings did play dead but when he went to pick them up for disposal they went on a hissing frenzy...I wish I could have been there to see this...

Lucky you, my first hognose female just hit the 160 gram mark and when she flattens out and hisses, everybody around gets goose bumps….. She’s my little drama queen >:)....However, once I grab her she then becomes the sweetest snake ever!!

13. thefish3341

That's funny because my male started to refuse eating pinkies altogether and began to only accept fuzzies. I had hoped that he would have stayed on pinkies a little longer considering how I had ~25 left and nothing else in the house that would eat them.

14. Kernel

Kernel Elite Member

I too haven't had any problems with mine eating, in fact I got her in October and she hasn't missed meal yet!

As for the pinkie problem, that's just an excuse for you to get another snake ;)

15. thefish3341

That's what I thought too! Too bad the bf said one snake is enough. Despite his dislike of snakes, he was actually the one who picked out the hognose for me because he thought the nose made them look so cute.

16. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

What? We need an excuse? LOL! And here all along I have been winging it!
    Awww two snakes really aren't much more trouble than one!

17. thefish3341

Not more trouble for me, but maybe more for the pair of overly curious green cheek conures we keep in the same room...