This Disappears When Logged In

First Hand Feeding, Woot!

Discussion in 'Water Dragons' started by Goodkat, Oct 9, 2010.

1. Goodkat

Goodkat Member

Finally got my little guy to accept some crickets while being handled. Up until today he's been too shy, simply shutting down every time I took him out of the terrarium. However, I made a point to hold him for a few minutes each day I got him, unless he freaked too much as I opened the tank. I'm surprised he's started this early...only about 4mo old at the moment.

Anybody else love the feeling that you've finally made some sort of connection with a new herp? :D

2. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

Congrats! I think that's great news. I started hand feeding mine right away because I didn't want bugs left in the tank. They've done real well. One thing I've found is that they (at least mine) prefer a routine. If I feed them outside of the routine they won't eat much. One of mine has refused all together before. I always feed, then soak and finally "play".

3. Goodkat

Goodkat Member

That's an interesting observation, I'm curious if my dude will act the same. In all honesty, I wasn't expecting him to take the bait; the first cricket took about 2 minutes of wiggling in front of him and me holding perfectly still before he went for it. After that, he just held it in his mouth and stared at me for a good five minutes. The second cricket was almost instant, one wiggle and he jumped on it.

Hopefully next few weeks I'll be able to create some sort of routine so I can track exactly what he's eating and when. I'd like to determine exactly how fast they grow, could be fun to breed later on. I've bred snakes before, but other than a bunch of leos I don't have a whole lot of experience with lizards.

4. h20dragon2010

h20dragon2010 Elite Member

It takes a bit for them to feel totally comfortable around you but don't give up. I prefer handfeeding because you can keep track of their food intake. It helps to let you know if something may be wrong since they'll lose their appetite when they're sick and so on.
    I have a male and a female. I'm too scared to breed them though it would be exciting to experience the eggs hatching and raising them. It would also mean more captive bred which over time could stop people from selling wild caught. But I've already decided that I don't want to breed so I'll be getting my female spayed when she's a bit older. My leopard gecko just got spayed and she was very sick (I adopted her) and her surgery went very well. We have an excellent vet so he'll be spaying Ormarr for me.

5. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

I was hand feeding Hydro at first.

Then one day he accidently pinched a part of my thumb along with the cricket and it did not feel good. Also drew blood heh. So that was pretty much the end of that.

Hydro feeds pretty aggressively, but he also does know the difference between fingers and food and has never bit me on any other occation.

I now use a big shallow tupperware bowl that the crickets cant get out of. I usually put about a dozen in ever other day and he will eat all of those in one sitting. Super worms are for desert/treat but he also gets 5 or 6 of those on days where he doesnt get crickets. I feed the worms with tongs, cause there nasty, and cause he goes nuts for them.

I love my CWD.

6. autograf323

autograf323 Elite Member

It's a trust thing my one dragon I always hand feed him but the new girl she is so little but bites my fingers so much I have to be careful.

7. ajs406

ajs406 Member

I currently feed my dragon by hand both worms and crickets just because I don't want to rely on leaving the crickets in the viv and then the risk of him not eating them all and them biting him at night. So i was interested in doing something like this. Does your dragon not just jump on the tup bowl and knock it over? Or is it really big? I'd like to implement a technique such as this.

8. HydroDragon

HydroDragon Elite Member

its a big enough bowl for him to fit his whole body in (definatly not tail obviously) And its also supported under a vine in the corner so it doesnt tip over. The crickets rarely get out but when they do he hunts them down.