This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Skink - Thinking About Getting A Tank Mate (female) For Zuko (male)...thoughts/warnings?

Discussion in 'Skinks' started by d3tsui, Jan 9, 2018.

?

Good idea or bad idea?

1. Good

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Bad

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. d3tsui

d3tsui Member

20180107_160306.jpg I've been thinking about getting a tank mate for my fire skink Zuko for a while. I've recently found out about a female fire skink who was rescued from a less than ideal setup and has had poor care. She should be pretty scared. Possibly less than a year old.

Zuko is in a big tank and has been on his own in there for over a year (he could be up to 2 years old now). He is incredibly shy but healthy. Runs away from me rather than show any aggression.

Is this a bad idea?

2. Atroxus

Atroxus Active Member

I don't know if there is a problem with putting a male/female pair together unless you consider the possibility of baby skinks in the future a problem, but I would want to be certain that the female isn't actually a male since I am fairly certain that 2 males would fight. Since the female is a rescue I would also be concerned about any potentially communicable health issues putting your healthy male at risk. If it were my animal, I would consider setting up a temporary habitat for the new skink, to work on getting her healthy and confirm that she is actually a female before putting her in with the male. That's just my two cents, but as a disclaimer I am not an expert on skinks in general or fire skinks specifically. I have only owned one rainbow skink many years ago and am basing my advice off what I can remember of skink behavior, and "educated guesswork". ;)

3. d3tsui

d3tsui Member

thanks for this! yes will set up a 'triage' tank and hope things work out!

Atroxus likes this.
  4. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Actually can't add much to that, other than if/when you reach the point of introducing the new one, your going to want to watch closely for any aggression issues and try to make sure both are eating. Maybe get a scale so you can check thier weights occasionally.

5. d3tsui

d3tsui Member

thanks for all the help. I'm a sucker so I took her in today. I'm fairly certain she is a she...my concern now is the size difference. Zuko, my male, is huge compared to her...I'll be getting that scale to update on this thread...

Atroxus likes this.
  6. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

If there is a great size difference you may want to keep the female alone until she grows a bit more. It is also a good idea to quarantine the new skink for a month or two to make sure she is healthy.
    Love the skink's name btw

7. d3tsui

d3tsui Member

Thanks! I was hoping to house them together sooner but you're right, I should look for something more suitable for a month's stay.

Any suggestions for the female's name? May?

8. Atroxus

Atroxus Active Member

Assuming you got the name Zuko from Avatar, wouldn't it be "Mai"? ;)

9. d3tsui

d3tsui Member

well played good sir!