This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Belly Toads Not Eating

Discussion in 'Toads' started by Liam, Apr 20, 2018.

1. Liam

Liam New Member

Hello folks, it seems to be a common question. I've read a number of threads about it but I'm still not sure what's going wrong here. We got fired belly toads about 10 days ago, two of them, supposedly eating crickets enthusiastically at the pet shop. Since they've come home, they've not eaten any crickets. Tried dubia roaches and worms as well, no interest. Frequently the crickets walk right on top of the toads. They spent a couple of days in their hide, and are finally back out in the water. Also, they called for the first 2 nights, but they've been quiet since then.

Set up is a 20 gallon long that is mostly land with a large water dish. Water is treated with an amphibian safe treatment, and is changed daily. Temperatures are running 69 to 76. I have a light over the cage running 12 hours on 12 hours off. Bought a weak UV lamp but haven't installed it yet, and I'm not sure I will. Initially, my son, who's frogs they are, had really loaded up the tank with a bunch of plastic plants and logs and things. Since they haven't been eating, I took out most of that so that we could see the crickets, and be sure that the frogs could see the crickets.

Any ideas? Since they were eating at the pet store I assume this is an adjustment. Oh, the crickets look to be about a half an inch in size. Thanks in advance.