This Disappears When Logged In

Fire Bellied Toads

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Runningmom, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Ok. I still want a dragon (CWD) and someday I want a bearded dragon. But I have also wanted fire bellied toads for a long time and I have a 55 gallon that's calling for some toads! It is perfect for a paladarium or whatever you want to fancy calling it. I think I will use fake and real plants lol. I have researched these guys before-but I had fish in the 55 gallon. Now it is free again so I have to put some animals in it and I think I can handle some toads. I have been facinated with them for awhile

How long do you want to have it set up before you put animals in? A week or so? I know with fish you have to have a bacteria colony and all that.

I was thinking of using the small pebble rocks but in reading it says they can swallow them by accident. However, can you have them in the water part and then put the moss over them on the land so they don't swallow it. Also wouldn't crickets get stuck in the moss and the toads could accidentally eat moss?

I have some ideas as to how I will set up. Trying to decide what would be good as a setup with the rocks.

2. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

With fire belly toads and other reptiles the reason to have the cage running for awhile is to make sure the temps and humidity is up and running first.
    I had the cage set up the day before I got the toads. They dont need an established bacteria colony or anything so I dont think you need to have the cage set up for that long unless it is to establish the plants before the toads get in.

The little pebbles in the rocks and then covering them on land should work unless you are wanting the toads to eat fish (which supposedly they can do but none of mine ever did.

3. Runningmom

Runningmom Elite Member

Great thanks ;)