This Disappears When Logged In

Finally!!

Discussion in 'Rainbow Boas' started by Bitis Gabonica, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I finally took some pictures of Frankie and Nancy for you Andrea! :D

Unfortunately Frankie is still in shed, so he is pretty dark and quite dull, but I promised you pics tonight! :p It's also feeding day so I will take some better shots in a couple of days.

Here they are - Nancy 1st, 2nd and 3rd pics, Frankie 4th and 5th pics. They are around a year and a half old now, about 3.5-4ft in length and weigh 756g and 857g respectively, so still a bit of growing to do! Hope you like.. sorry they are not such good photos. :)

Attached Files:

2. Bitis Gabonica

And one of them together - this was taken a while ago, but is such a cute photo I thought,. don't they look like twins! :p

Attached Files:

3. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They look great Rachel....and I love the names.

4. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Ken :D Do you know where the names are from though?? :p Our younger members won't I fear alas :)

5. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

It's up to you New York, New York......

6. Bitis Gabonica

New Yorrrrrkkkkkkk.. :d

7. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

Your'e in your 20's and you listen to Sinatra ?? will you marry me ??? LOL

8. Bitis Gabonica

LOL :p Yeah baby!!! :D (The closest i'm ever gonna get to a proposal in a long time :p )

Sinatra is classic! And we mustn't forget his partners.. the Rat Pack, what a crew! :)

9. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Gorgeous!!!

Oh Thank You, Rachel!!!!!!!! They are gorgeous!! I love how dark they are -- like Peruvian Rainbow Boas.
    You've got two really beauties there. They look so healthy and well-cared for!!
    I know how busy you are, but you MUST post pics of these two more often!!! P L E A S E !!!!!!!!!!! :D

10. kenman1963

kenman1963 Moderator

They are pretty Andrea. I have little to no experience with rainbows but is the dark coloration common with Peruvians ? and what's a sign that it is Marajo or Brazilian ?

I know you've researched this well so maybe you can shed some light this way...thanks

11. Bitis Gabonica

Thanks Andrea! :) I promise to post pics more often - they are two beauties, although I have to admit i prefer the brighter and lighter BRBs,. Frankie in particular is dark,. peruvians.. we wish! :D

12. DarkMagician207

DarkMagician207 Elite Member

they're very pretty. it seems like every rainbow boa i've seen has a mickey mouse in their patterns somewhere whether they're a little distorted or clear. lol weird. :p

13. steel rip

steel rip Elite Member

Great pictures Rachel, they are gorgeous, they have grown since I last seen them :D

14. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

I've tried to research the differences as much as possible Ken... As Spencer from Rainbow Boa.co.uk says: "Identification is sadly not very straight-forward, but more of an educated, experienced, guess." Since has so many of each subspecies, I trust his experienced guess! :p
    From my research it seems that the Peruvians "Epicrates cenchria gaigei" and Marajos "Epricrates cenchria barbouri" are often darker oranges to deep reds. They often have very pronounced markings, especially on their sides. The Peruvians often have their bright yellow-orange crescents encircled completely in black. (I say "often" here because there is SOOOOOO much variation in each of the subspecies, that you have dark Brazilians, lighter Peruvians and Peruvians without the complete circles. :rolleyes: ..Here is a picture of a really beautiful Peruvian with the classic markings. http://boaconstrictor.free.fr/ze_gaigei.htm
    Marajos often don't have the yellow crescents at all or just little spots of yellow in those areas.
    The only sure way seems to be to count their scales: Peruvians have fewer and larger scales than the other two.
    Also the Peruvians often grow bigger than the other two.
    I'm not sure how Spencer determined that Talyn was a Marajo (aside from the fact that she looks like most of his Marajos and "Q" looks like a (skinny) textbook Brazilian.
    In order to make a more specific determination, he asked for close-ups of her head and photos and info about the coloration of her belly. So there must be some differences in those areas... but I haven't had a chance to ask what they are.
    If I find out more, I'll definitely share!

In the meantime... I'm still drooling over Frankie and Nancy! :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.