This Disappears When Logged In

Finally Got Her Eating Well!

Discussion in 'Solomon Island Boas' started by Dragoness, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Finally got my little girl to eat a few meals in a row (which for her is a good record)

After going through several cage tweaks/remodels/overhauls and reading over (again) many online caresheets, I am still NOT sure what sub/species she is.

The vet seems to think ground boa. Other opinions say tree boa. She seems equally content in the trees as she is on the ground.

All the care sheets I could find for snakes in the genus Candoia said they can overheat very easily, and their basking temps should not exceed 90, etc, as they will get restless, go off their feed, etc. I have been very careful to keep her basking temp just below ninety (usually between 86-88ºF), with ambient/cool side in the 70-76ºF Range. She hadn't eaten for months. On a whim, I decided to make her yet another (5th? 6th?) cage, this one with a very warm basking spot (97ºF on the warmest spot, a branch, as measured with probe.) and several cooler areas to retreat to. She spent her whole first 3 days looped on the hot spot on her branch. She refused her first meal in this new cage, but has eaten both subsequent meals very readily. She now spends most of her time on the ground beneath the heat lamp, where it is a little cooler (~94ºF).

So now I'm wondering if she is really in the genus Candoia at all. She certainly looks that way. With her identity even more in question, I really would like to figure out exactly what she is, as it will make caring for her easier. At this point, species in uncertain, and genus is vaguely in question.

I'm not sure if these snakes have ever been genetically researched- which I tend to doubt, so getting her genetically tested may be a waste of time if there are no established genetic profiles for any of those species...

I'm glad she is eating, but I am even more perplexed now that I was before, lol.