This Disappears When Logged In

Finally! A Moult!

Discussion in 'Arachnids General' started by Og_, Feb 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Goliath starting to moult. No he's not dead!;)

[​IMG]

2. nicole

nicole Elite Member

ick, lol. I am glad all is well with him even though he gives me the heeebeee geeebeees, lol

3. Typhanie

Typhanie Elite Member

The moulting process does not look fun at all.

4. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

*shivers*

5. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

ah now why did I look at this........LOL
    Yeah heeebie jeeebies is right!

6. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

okay now my curiosity has the better of me....do you handle the spider ? Or is this a observe only kind of thing ?
    How do you feed it?? ect now I want details! haha

7. smallgrayfox

smallgrayfox Contributing Member

oh...now I have some mega hooky-jigs! :eek: I'll have to show my daughter when she gets home from school...she likes tarantulas... ugh....

I'm glad Goliath is doing well though, even if I'm terrified of him. :rolleyes:

8. venus

venus Founding Member

I think that is just fascinating. Did you get pics through the whole process.

9. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Ok more pics! The first one was this morning. The other two are this afternoon.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What is happening is, A Tarantula will flip over onto its back when it begins to moult. It will then "Pop its top", Meaning its Carapace comes off. The carapace is the round part of the exoseleton on it's back.

[​IMG]

It will then ever so slowly pull itself out of his old exoskeleton through the opening left by the ruptured carapace. The exo around the abdomen will also rupture.
    I would imagine that it would be like trying to take off a pair of really tight jeans without unbuttoning and unzipping them.
    The reddish colored parts are the old exoskeleton. All the old legs are now hollow tubes.
    You'll notice that the new fangs are white while the old ones are black. Thats because his fangs as well as his new exoskeleton is soft and pliable.
    Once he fully emerges, It will take several days for his exoskeleton to harden. During this time, It will be his only opportunity to grow larger for once his exo hardens, That's it! Once it hardens, there's no room for expansion untill the next moult.

I'm so releived! I was worrying that this spider was going to die because he hasn't eaten for almost four months!
    I believe he was waiting for the conditions to be right to moult.
    Two weeks ago, I put him in a larger tank with fresh substrate and a heat bulb on one end. I also sank the water cup into the substrate so he didn't have to climb up onto it.
    These animals are native to the S. American jungles and need lots of humidity.

I'll take more pics when he is fully emerged.

10. nicole

nicole Elite Member

very interesting, thanks Og!
    I still have the heeeebeee geeebeees though, lol

you still didnt tell us wether or not you handle him. My guess would be that he is a look but dont touch. What I have been told is that they are actually quite fragile.

11. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

It seems like forever some times before they moult. But really 4 months isn't bad, one of my versicolors didn't eat for a good 6 before she moulted and she's only 5th instar. So look forward to long fasts from her as she grows.

12. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

No, I do not handle him at all. There are many species of tarantula. Some are a lot more aggressive than others. The Goliath Bird Eater or T. Blondi can have fangs 1.5 inches long when fully mature. They are the largest T species in the world reaching up to a 12 inch leg span. They are also an aggressive spider.
    I think the more docile T's that can be handled, live off of relatively small insects.
    Mine has been eating mice all along. I don't think anyone in their right mind would be putting their nice pink juicy fingers close to one of these T's!

13. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

gosh I didnt realize that it was that BIG. Thanks for answering the questions and for sharing.
    A whole mouse............that's unreal! lol

14. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

okay after another cup of coffee I remembered what my husband told me about. 2-3 weeks ago he had to go an hour away to a pet store to get a MVB for our skink anyway, he was waiting to get help cause there was a little old granny that was before him and she was talking about wanting to get more T's. lol He was listening to her go on about how she just loved them and she wanted more and that she wanted a "bird eater" and he said that he shouldnt have been shocked but he was. haha
    He was saying that he knows that there is no age limit of course to owning unusual pets but he just kept saying..."she was this sweet looking little old granny with blue hair and I just imagined her sitting with all these T's on her on the couch" lmao Of course we dont know a thing about T's but it kinda made me giggle. Kinda of like the old woman on the block with all the cats ...haha anyway I hope you guys see the humor here!
    Thats what I want to be when I get old ! LOL
    But not with T's ....too scary for me.

15. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Hey! WE are grandparents and we have a whole room full of snakes and lizards!
    Insanity knows no age limits!;)

16. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

Insanity! i am offended! ;)

it is insane not to like all these weird and wonderful critters

17. Lucysfriend

Lucysfriend Elite Member

hahaha now you guys know I didnt mean it like that remember I said I want to be that way!
    Dev- now you know I am in the insanity club I just didnt know the secret handshake haha
    Merlin...I knew you would post about that haha but I dont think that you have the blue hair!
    But Ive been wrong before LOL

18. nicole

nicole Elite Member

19. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Hmm, Will be?

20. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Bad news. He didn't survive the moult.:(:(:(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.