This Disappears When Logged In

Field Crickets As Feeders?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by billrogers, Sep 8, 2015.

1. billrogers

billrogers Established Member

Has anyone tried breeding black field crickets as a food source for pets? I caught around 40-50 this summer and am trying to starting a colony. I plan on using them to feed my two grey tree frogs, curly hair tarantula, leopard gecko, and various other critters that I keep from time to time.

2. infantry492

infantry492 Active Member

It could work, but I wouldn't recommend it. Wild caught crickets and such could carry parasites, pesticides, diseases, and other things that could harm your pets.

3. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

The black cricket has a much harder exoskeleton and larger mandibles as well.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And they bite!

5. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

It really wouldn't cost that much to buy a hundered or so to start a colony--I originally wanted to do this but, well, for me it was too much work to be worth it, so now I have a nice dubia colony going.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I would just go with raising the dubias. Much easier to deal with.
    And they don't STINK!

kriminaal and mshrmheadcharge like this.
  7. lisas

lisas Elite Member

I've heard dubias have a better nutritional content. My lizard catches them easier too. They don't chirp, which my son appreciates (I like their songs but don't like my sons' complaining).

8. billrogers

I have plants and stuff in with my frogs, if I used dubias would they hide in it all the time? Also, can they squeeze out of the small crack where the door meets the wall?

9. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

For me a feeding bowl is a must for Dubias. You can't just dump them in or they hide real well.
    With monitors a deep glass bowl works well that they cannot climb out of. It takes some trial and error to come up with a system that works though. I had the issue of their tail going in the bowl and the roaches would climb out of the bowl up it.
    It's very worthwhile to figure something out. Perhaps a separate bin for feeding?

10. billrogers

Hmmm. I think it would be hard to move the frogs every time I need to feed them. Maybe a dish would work out.

11. DragonSlayer

DragonSlayer Established Member

I hand feed my Water Dragon Dubias. He'll take them right off my finger tip or I just hold a small piece of egg carton up to him and he picks them off :)

12. billrogers

I just got my frogs back in July and they are still scared of me, my leopard gecko will take food from forceps and I think I could just toss dubias in with my tarantula as there isn't really anywhere to hide in her cage. Are the dubias fast runners?

13. firehawk0285

firehawk0285 New Member

I don't recommend it. Parasites are no joke. I highly recommend dubias. Best source is
    Home - Discount Dubias

14. billrogers

Would it be hard to get my frogs used to eating them from a dish?