This Disappears When Logged In

Female Panther Color

Discussion in 'Chameleons' started by Wildflowernw, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Wildflowernw

Wildflowernw Elite Member

I just figured out that Sarah is showing colors of a gravid female. At least thats what any books I have are showing. She is usually light or when unhappy, cocoa brown. She is now a bright pink/salmon color with contrasting tan bands. She's been this color for about a week now.

Does this normally happen to a female that has not had any contact with a male?

For those not following any past threads... Sarah is blind and close to a year old.

Attached Files:

2. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

she sounds like she is exhibiting receptive breeding colors, when gravid the tan bands would be dark brown or black and the pink/salmon color would be a bright orange.Females start exhibiting breeding colors around 10-14 mths

3. Wildflowernw

First pic is her way of going with the arm stretched out. I was using my cell phone so real hard to capture movement. 2nd) she is in her caged, relaxed more or less. 3rd) I took her out for better lighting, a though a little puffed up.

4. missabrat

missabrat Elite Member

she is sooo cute, I miss my female who passed recently due to MBD,same colors as Sarah, she looks normal colors to me, is she getting ready to shed? such a pretty girl :)

5. Wildflowernw

She's usually lighter in color but I finally starting giving her a little more food recently and she's just blossomed. I have to hand feed her and she's not as cooperative as I'd like.

6. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

The color looks normal. Gravid coloration is really dark, almost near black in some cases. While a courting female will be really pale with little to no pattern. It's normal for panthers to slow down or stop eating in winter. The slighty darker coloration could also mean a up comming shed. Just keep an eye on her, she sould be fine.

7. Wildflowernw

Then that might explain why my male Panther isn't eating much. About a month ago he seemed to loose interest in roaches and super worms. Pretty much crickets only which is a problem because I stopped raising them and need to go out and buy then by the doz. I'm hoping its a passing thing. I did adjust his heating element to compensate for cooler house temps so I can't figure out what else could've changed.

8. titus

titus Elite Member Premium Member

There's no real reason to change the temps unless it's getting really cold. My day time temps stay the same year round but in winter, I let the night temps drop to about 16C. most chams like cooler nights and the winter time lets them have it. In summer it's hard to get the night temps that low. So keeping high altitude chams would be difficult, but it's not a problem for panthers and Veileds.