This Disappears When Logged In

Female Iguana Egg Laying Questions

Discussion in 'Cyclura - Rock Iguana' started by Smaug2011, Nov 25, 2014.

1. Smaug2011

Smaug2011 New Member

Greetings,

This is my first post here.

I live with a 3 year old female Cuban Rock Iguana.

I have been working with iguanas for 18 years but my current iguana is my first female.

Currently we are in the midst of our first "egg laying season", and as I have never worked with females I am a bit concerned that things are not going correctly.

At the end of October (10/23/14) my iguana's behavior changed radically. No eating or pooping, and lots of scratching at the door to her (6 foot by 8 foot enclosure).

After numerous vet visits my vet informed me that egg folicles were visible on an x-Ray, and that I should provide a nest site.

The nest has been built. and my iguana goes in a digs, but we have seen no eggs and do not feel any when gently feeling her abdomen.

It has now been 34 days since the eating and pooping have been drastically reduced and still nothing. However in the last 3 days I have observed some eating and much more regular pooping.

So is it too soon for eggs (and I am just worrying for nothing), are the eggs being reabsorbed?

Any info would be a big help.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Now my experience is with greens as opposed to cyclura but The behavior change didn't just suddenly happen but was led up to over the course of a couple of weeks. The eating would slow down and then cease altogether a couple of weeks before laying. The body would swell and you could clearly tell the difference. There just was no room in there for food.
    The recommencement of eating signaled that the eggs were being absorbed.
    Hope this helps.

3. nocturnelle

nocturnelle New Member

I've had the same issues with my green ig, despite providing a nest box. She reabsorbs them every time. And yeah, usually when she starts having an appetite again is when I feel free enough to give her the all-clear.

Good luck!

4. Smaug2011

Smaug2011 New Member

Op here...

After four weeks of no eating or pooping (and crazy behavior) we have finally started to observe some normality here. Eating and pooping are back to normal, and behavior has mellowed. Normal behavior has been present for one week now.

However, after our follow up appointment with the vet today we were informed that the egg follicles are still visible on an x-ray.

I am very confused...

I figured we were done with nesting season and would not be in a situation where surgery would be needed (the vet has yet to recommend surgery) but now I'm not so sure.

My question is how long will these follicles take to disappear?