This Disappears When Logged In

Female Boa 4 Feet What is a Healthy Weight

Discussion in 'Boas *General*' started by BoaBoi79, Jun 15, 2014.

1. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

I just rescued three female boa morphs, 4 ft, 3ft and 2ft. The smallest one seems to be in great health from just having her a few hours. She ate and shows no signs of illness. The two larger ones seem to have a clicking when they breathe and are opening their mouths to breathe I'm aware this is most likely a respiratory infection. My other concern is the largest female is a little more than four feet and is very slender I have yet to weigh them but just by looking she should be a bit heavier.which brings me to mMy question what is an average weight for a healthy female four foot red tail boa? ( boa Constrictor Imperator) please let me know any input you have and I will definitely be putting some weight on them.

2. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

To answer your question; I would say 3-6 lbs is a decent wait for a 4-6 foot snake just depending on the individual. I've noticed that two of my boas are the same exact weight and length but one looks normal but the other seems a tiny little bit slim... It just depends on the snake just like with humans, it depends on the animal
    Also, I hope all of the three boas are separated. If two have Respiratory infections and the other one is around them, she'll probably get an RI as well. Take all of them to the vet for check ups and medication for the RI's. Also, use some such as a 'shish kabob stick' or long wooden q tip (like the ones DRs and Vets have) to GENTLY open the mouth of each Boa to look for any "cheesey" thick looking pus, rotting flesh and/or bleeding, etc.. Basically anything abnormal. Discoloration (normal mouth color should be light pink but some purple/black spots occur sometimes) is normal.

PLEASE use different mouth opening sticks on each animal and wash hands very very thoroughly before and after examining each animal t0 avoid cross contam.

Also, boa illnesses can be undetectable for months and months. The littlest girl may *look* healthy but remember that looks can be deceiving... Please get them into your vet just in case. Antibiotics from a vet will ve your best option and if untreated, an RI can lead to other health issues and/or death. Plus RI's can sometimes be the result of an internal or otherwise unnoticeable health issue so a vet will be able to thoroughly examine the animals.

Whenever you have a snake with an RI or anything sort of bacterial illness you should request that blood work and tissue samples be taken and cultured just in case. I do but most don't. The reason I do is because, as mentioned, RI's and many other mouth issues can be caused by internal issues in Boas and in other snakes as well. Hopefully this helps a little and one more thing...

Take each boa to the vet individually. If one has IBD (for example) there's no reason for all three snakes to die. Loosing one or paying butt loads of vet vills for one snake is bad enough let alone three and separation can save you a bunch of trouble. In 3-6 months, it should be perfectly safe to keep all of them together. Even if you bought all three snakes from the same person and they've been kept together by the previous owner, it's still worth separating them...

- - - Updated - - -

I hope all of the three boas are separated. If two have Respiratory infections and the other one is around them, she'll probably get an RI as well. Take all of them to the vet for check ups and medication for the RI's. Also, use some such as a 'shish kabob stick' or long wooden q tip (like the ones DRs and Vets have) to GENTLY open the mouth of each Boa to look for any "cheesey" thick looking pus, rotting flesh and/or bleeding, etc.. Basically anything abnormal. Discoloration (normal mouth color should be light pink but some purple/black spots occur sometimes) is normal.

PLEASE use different mouth opening sticks on each animal and wash hands very very thoroughly before and after examining each animal t0 avoid cross contam.

Also, boa illnesses can be undetectable for months and months. The littlest girl may *look* healthy but remember that looks can be deceiving... Please get them into your vet just in case. Antibiotics from a vet will ve your best option and if untreated, an RI can lead to other health issues and/or death. Plus RI's can sometimes be the result of an internal or otherwise unnoticeable health issue so a vet will be able to thoroughly examine the animals.

Whenever you have a snake with an RI or anything sort of bacterial illness you should request that blood work and tissue samples be taken and cultured just in case. I do but most don't. The reason I do is because, as mentioned, RI's and many other mouth issues can be caused by internal issues in Boas and in other snakes as well. Hopefully this helps a little and one more thing...

Take each boa to the vet individually. If one has IBD (for example) there's no reason for all three snakes to die. Loosing one or paying butt loads of vet vills for one snake is bad enough let alone three and separation can save you a bunch of trouble. In 3-6 months, it should be perfectly safe to keep all of them together. Even if you bought all three snakes from the same person and they've been kept together by the previous owner, it's still worth separating them...

3. CryHavoc17

CryHavoc17 Elite Member

Most people go more by body condition then actual weight. A boa should be well muscled but not fat and shaped like a loaf of bread, not round. What weight that means for the individual animal will vary.

Also pleae take your snakes to a vet. The RIs need antibiotic treatment asap

4. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

There is no set in stone weight chart for snakes. If the animal has good muscle tone, and does not seem malnourished to you, it is probably healthy, in terms of weight.

Pics would help.

In general, as long as the skin is firm, the body well-muscled, and you can't see the bones, the animal probably has more than adequate fat stores.

There is such thing as too much - if the intrascalar skin is clearly visible when no meal has recently been consumed, your snake might be overweight. I know my big girl is a bit chubby. Working on finding the happy medium where she gets enough food to not be hungry, but not enough to make her 'overweight'.

5. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

Thanks Jen I appreciate your in pout she has good musculature but her skin is very loose on the sides so I'm pretty sure she could use a few more grams on her nut for the kostbpiartinthinking they will be alright. They are pretty active clear eyes mouth looks great no bubbling or mucus or anything around the mouth apor nose. I am a little concerned about the opening of the mouth to breathe and I do see some head tilting upward on my het caramel which gives me some anxiety but I'm pretty confident in my knowledge and ability to get these girls back to health and with you guys and the vet on my side I think we have the upper hand. My name is David Eric btw it's very nice to meet you and thanks for all your input greatly appreciated.

6. Hkg

Hkg Elite Member

EriksExotics pretty much said it all. Get all the checked out, and seperated. Boas are very good at hiding illness until it's to late. I think it's always best to take new animals into a reptile vet just to be sure. It's better to be safe than sorry. As for weight, if the bigger one is about 5' is say around 5lbs is good. I had a boa that was 5' and 3 lbs (rescue) and the vet said he was under weight. Again, if just take your snakes to a reptile vet, they'll tell you the info you need to know. And definitely get that possible ri checked out. If it's not treated I'm pretty sure it can turn to nemonia (sorry I for got how to spell. Haha) and they can drown in their own saliva I guess. I can't really remember correctly, that's just what my reptile get said when I brought my boa in. I hope I helped. I doubt I did. But I tried. I wish you and your snakes the best of luck! Keep us updated

7. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

No every letter in your posts is greatly appreciated. I do have quite a few yearsbofbhusbandrybunder my belt but I can't know everything and to hear your experiences helps me remember what to do if and when my boas have to ever experience bit. Also it brings us together and builds a bond sober know we have a support group in difficult times with w plethera of knowledge and vastly similar yet so different which will help us relate and also leArn and grow together. I believebi am going to attempt to breed this season it will be my first attempt so I'm gonna need all the help I can get. Of course none of my sweet little girls I know they are in no shape to bbe there yet but next year we will have to see as all three of them are morphs I can't wait to see the little beauties I'll will get.

8. EriksExotics

What morphs are they?

9. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

Hey albino het caramel and a het pastel

10. EriksExotics

No they aren't.

caramel isn't a boa morph (unless you mean paradigm or caramel t-pos) and pastel is not recessive. Either he's a visual pastel or he is not pastel at all. No such thing as het pastel

11. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

What makes you say that I'm not doubting you in the least but that what I was assured when I got them

12. EriksExotics

It is scientifically impossible to have a het pastel.
    Only recessive genes can be Heterozygous but the pastel gene is not recessive. if you can post a picture I can tell you if he's pastel or not with complete certainty. if you have any doubts, talk to Jeff Roane (the Boaphile) and he can answer any boa questions you have but unfortunately he's a busy guy so a response may take time.

If the person you got them from said one was a het pastel, they're probably extremely uneducated on boas and that's probably why they're sick.

plus it's way easier to get rid of "moprhs" than normals most of the time which is probably why he/she said that.

13. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

Well I kinda had my doubt but I took his word I'm really not to knowledgeable about all the morphs so I may have sai it wrong but let me post a pick for should she his about to she so I don't know if it will make a difference and the pic is kinda not great but ill playboy and thank younger helping me

Well thank u for clearing it up I feel kinda foolish being that I am not that educated about the morphs yet I took his word for it because ninjas no reason not to believe him I'm looking where to post a picture and I am not finding it

14. EriksExotics

Don't feel foolish, knowing snakes and knowing morphs are way different. Morphs can get very confusing and unfortunately people will lie if it helps them get rid of animals easily :/

15. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Alleged pastel

image.jpg image.jpg

Attached Files:

16. EriksExotics

What color is his belly?

the "caramel" is definitely a normal... Maybe he meant she's a normal het albino.

17. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

The belly is very pink but I thought that's cause she is in she'd

18. EriksExotics

Any orange?

19. BoaBoi79

BoaBoi79 Member

Alleged het albino image.jpg image.jpg

Well I guess I was fooled

20. EriksExotics