This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding

Discussion in 'Pythons' started by Buggy0123, Nov 15, 2015.

1. Buggy0123

Buggy0123 Established Member

Okay, so I know theta theres a lot of controversy on this topic but I want to see which is done more. Do you feed your snake in their tank or outside of their tank? Ive heard that they can grow aggressive if you feed them in the tank yet Ive also heard that some people have no problem with it. So, what do you do and which do you think is better?

2. Ian-V

Ian-V Well-Known Member

I personally don't own a snake but I've heard that it doesn't effect temperament. It's just a matter of personal preference.

3. Dan01

Dan01 Established Member

I personally think it would affect temperament, although I've only owned one snake who I've always fed outside his tank. Isn't it the same thing as not pushing food through bars of my rat's cage so they don't bite your fingers when you stick them in there too?

4. MentalMilkSNakes

MentalMilkSNakes Active Member

I don't feel it affects their temperment at all. I always feed my snake inside her enclosure. The only time she's a little more curious or aggressive than usual is if you mess with the enclosure right after feeding, because she thinks she might be getting more food.

5. Kolby Tannehill

Kolby Tannehill Well-Known Member

I feed both of my snakes in there enclosure, nether of them are aggressive at all.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Where people get in trouble with feeding in the enclosure is they do not otherwise interact much with the snake. If the only time the enclosure is opened is for feeding, you are teaching the snake that when the enclosure is opened, there is food coming in. Sort of a Pavlov's dog conditioning.

Katsura and Kolby Tannehill like this.
  7. Katsura

Katsura Elite Member

Merlin is absolutely correct. Out of cage feeding aggression is a huuuge myth that needs to be busted.

I feed ALL of my snakes in cage and have for years and exactly 0 of them are cage aggressive.

Just play with them too! Everybody will be alright.