This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Time.

Discussion in 'Snakes - General' started by yzfracer347, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

So i have some things to say about yesturdays feeding. (All live feed..shun me later..) I picked up 2 fuzzies,One for my Cali king,one for my female corn. two 2inch rats(just body)one for my female corn,one for my male corn. and a larger rat for my ball python.So i feed the female her 2inch rat she gets it down right away. In the meantime my ball python Rude, strikes at his Rat he kinda missed the still rat and just managed in biting its nose of and then sinking his fangs into himself. He pulled his fangs right out and It didnt even puncture through his scales. So the rat is bleeding and sneezing blood everywhere while Rude readjust his jaw. To keep the mess down I give the rat to my Boa who refuses it so the rat gets lucky and tossed in the woods by my house, also by a swamp so he should have a good life. I give Rude a break and decide to feed him one of the smaller 2inch rats later on that night. SO my male corn gets a fuzzie and now its time to feed my cali king, Hes within a day away from shed and is upsessing over his new moist hide going in and out all week but mostly in. I put them together in the 5 gal and he misses one,twice,3 times,4. Me and ollie lose track as he strick in the air at least 20 times. so we figured he was getting screed up by us and all the heat lights in the room so we cover him with a pillow case and check back in 30 minutes. still striking at nothing,so i pull him out and suprisingly he knows not to strike at me and i give the mouse to my female corn later that night for her 2nd meal. Im gonna try to feed him again tonight, Just a pinky since thats all hes eaten yet. Any ides why he was striking at nothing for so long.

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ball pythons do not have fangs.

The kingsnake is in shed and so not interested in eating. He is trying to drive the intruder away.

You should never release captive animals into the ecosystem. Since the rat was bitten by the python and exposed to the boa it could have picked up all sorts organisms that you just introduced into the wild populations.
    Not to mention it is highly illegal.

3. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Well sorry about the rat i didnt know what to do with a rat in my house,especially a noseless one, i see rats all the time at the swamp and i do live in fl near the woods

4. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

and if ball pythons dont have fangs then will it hurt if you get bitten by one

5. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Depends on the size of the snake. They do have needle sharp teeth but it isn't that big of a deal.

6. SpecterGT260

SpecterGT260 Elite Member

+1 on ur king snake. if he wanted to eat he would have had it by then. my snakes miss from time to time too, but if he is just snapping it means its a defensive move.

7. venus

venus Founding Member

Please type out ur = your,,,thanks :)

8. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

as for the rat...you should have killed it and frozen it for later if you could not look after it. Basically any animal that has been in captivity should be considered dead to the wild.

Another thing....yip you guessed it... feeding a live rat is very dangerous to your snake especially when it misses the prey a it did. A rat could easily kill your snake...i have personally seen snakes mauled by rats....just reptilian shards left behind.

Leave the snake to shed then try feeding...rather leave your snakes that are in the blue if they are striking. It can also hurt itself by striking at the glass etc. Let them hide to them selves and do not disturb.

I assume you guys have read up on all the herps you are keeping? And pretty sure you kno that feeding live is bad. Yip, pythons don't have fangs...nor the boas, corns or kingsnakes for that matter...

9. yzfracer347

yzfracer347 Elite Member

Not fangs sorry,you know what i mean. As for the live rats. I`ve only come across one mean rat and I quickly stunned it for my Boas consumption. I monitor all of my snakes eat and only two of them eat big enough rats to where they can be mean.

10. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

it just takes one bite to the snake to cause damage....you cannot stop it..other than killing rat before feed. It is up to you....but why live feed? Yes they do it in the wild....but i can honestly say i have never found an adult python for example without any scars....even adult smaller coloubrids for that matter

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.