This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Question

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by OokamiReyuu, Mar 2, 2013.

1. OokamiReyuu

OokamiReyuu Well-Known Member

Ok i know its soon time to move my ball python up to the next size in rats. I currently have her on rat pups but im starting to see a bulge less and less. Should i put her on weaned or maybe try and small adult rat?

IMG_0310_zps6ab79263.jpg

IMG_0309_zpsbca292cb.jpg

Sorry the flash light was the only thing i had for scale

2. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

by the look of your hand and her body I would say she will do okay with small rats. remember it's what the rodent looks like stretched out and not when hunched over.

3. OokamiReyuu

Ok thanks she gained alot of weight my friend jokingly calls her fat. when i goto the rat breeder ill get one and see. i'll end up pre-killing or setting up my own Co2 system.

4. JoeyG

I took my little one from rat fuzzies to smaller small rats and she's been doing fine with them. Now I use any small rat.

5. OokamiReyuu

ok, my boa might be able to handle the rest of my rat pups after a couple feedings. The rat fuzzies made a good size bulge in the boa (whos a baby) also sorry for my spelling mistakes

6. JoeyG

they grow so quick don't they :)

7. OokamiReyuu

No kidding :) It makes you proud and im sure the boas gonna grow quick despite her slow feeding responses. The ball on the other hand once she hear the hair dryer shes outta her hide and waiting for it.

8. JoeyG

that's how my female is. She's snatched them straight off the air before I even get them in the enclosure before :)

9. OokamiReyuu

Lol She strikes hard enough that pieces of the tail have been ripped off. Those strikes scare me lol

10. JoeyG

mine struck hard enough to send hair flying and I think I swallowed some :-&

11. OokamiReyuu

Ewwww lol mines not that bad yet lol

12. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I don`t think the sound of a hairdryer would be the reason the snake comes out of the hide, being mostly deaf to airborne sounds! ;)

13. OokamiReyuu

ok maybe the smell lol

14. SaMiAm

SaMiAm Member

I'm sure you're right but we all do like it when they notice our habits don't we. :">

I always soak mine in hot water and put the timer on. Is the hair dryer easier?

15. OokamiReyuu

It heats it up to the body temps of a mouse and I put my frozen feeders in the fridge the day before feeding day

16. HugoStiglitz

HugoStiglitz Member

Find the widest point in your snakes body and feed her a mouse that does not exceed that diameter.

17. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

You can feed up to 1 and a half times the diameter of the snake's body at its widest point.