This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding "pet" Insects

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by MokiiMonitor, Jul 30, 2013.

1. MokiiMonitor

MokiiMonitor Member

My dwarf water monitor currently eats locusts, roaches, morio worms when I can buy them and snails, plus his rats, mice, quails, prawns, sprats, eggs and chicks. And sometimes a frozen gerbil, hamster or multimammate as a treat when the shop has them in.
    At the moment I only breed giant land snails for him but I was wondering if it would be ok to start feeding any spare hissing cockroaches and indian/ labratory stick insects I have. I usually have to freeze or give away any young as they breed really quickly. I don't see a problem with the hissers, but not really sure about the stick insects as never heard anyone feeding them.

2. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi, I replied to your other thread, you do NOT have a Water monitor, it`s a Varanus indicus (Mangrove monitor).
    Personally I`ve never fed stick insects to any of my monitors, I think you need to know what the insects have been feeding on before you offer them, as some of the plants they consume may be toxic.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Not to mention that some of them can exude a caustic substance as a defense.

4. MokiiMonitor

MokiiMonitor Member

They eat privet and brambles. I don't know if they excrete anything, they don't if you handle them but might if they are being eaten. I only asked as it seems a waste just freezing them when they could be used for food and livefood not cheap either. I read somewhere you can feed them to marmoset monkeys but they are very different to lizards :p

I have just seen your message about mokii being a mangrove, I missed it before. Thanks he definately looks like one. I looked at a caresheet and luckily the care I have been giving him is right. But the minimum size enclosure they recommended seems a bit small, actually smaller than the one he is in at the moment and I am starting his bigger enclosure soon

5. jarich

jarich Elite Member

Im not sure which species you are referring to when you mention stick insects, but I have fed mine some without issue. It was pretty funny to watch actually. I got the impression my monitor did not think it was worth it (hows that for anthropomorphizing) ;)

6. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Hi again, privet is toxic, so just for that reason I wouldn`t offer the stick insects.
    Can you put a couple of photos up of the enclosure (not to criticise you), just to see if anything needs adjusting, apart from the size?
    Mangrove monitors are a very pretty species in my opinion, in fact I ordered a couple a few years ago, but for some reason the shop weren`t able to get them in (after they said they definitely could)! :((( ;)

7. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

I think that`s one of the most anthropormorphizational things I`ve ever heard (and that`s the longest word I`ve ever tried to spell even remotely ritelly... ;)
    Maybe a few of them wouldn`t do much harm on occasion if the insects had been fed non toxic plants?

8. Og_

Og_ Elite Member

Some folks make the mistake that because they have an exotic animal that somehow it requires an exotic diet. Don't waste your money on what you believe! Look it up and do your own research!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  9. MokiiMonitor

MokiiMonitor Member

Thanks for the advise. I may seperate a couple and feed them just brambles for a few weeks and offer mokii some and see what happens.

I gave him his first hissing cockroach last night and he flew across the viv to get it.

Also, I am hopefully getting the wood to start his new viv today on the way back from visiting my granparents, so I can do a build thread if everyone wants, it wont be as good as some though as I am building it myself.
    Just getting the wood for the framework today so I can start that and my dad and me will take the trailer one evening to get the sheetwood.

He really needs a new viv soon, because the one he is in now is falling apart as it wasn't sealed properly and is begining to look a bit embarrassing.

10. Cap10Squirty

Cap10Squirty Elite Member

I'd like to hear how you are breeding the giant land snails :)

11. MokiiMonitor

MokiiMonitor Member

I just keep them in a old fish tank, with a screen top I made. About 3 inches of soil that been compacted down and feed them any fruits or veg, they aren't fussy.
    They are very prolific breeders with very minimal care

12. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Too bad they are illegal in the US.

13. Cap10Squirty

Cap10Squirty Elite Member

I know it. I grew up on a South Pacific island - American Samoa. We had giant snails that would be all over our sidewalks and walls each evening. I never see any bigger than a thumbnail here in Arkansas. Slugs however......I have a lot of those.

14. murrindindi

murrindindi Elite Member

Gee, you must have had a tough childhood having to grow up in Samoa! ;) I haven`t been there, but I have been to Tahiti which was very nice.
    You can feed slugs providing they are from a "safe" area (most of the time they break the snail shell and swallow the contents anyway, so no real difference).