This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Issues

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by Ohiosinger07, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Ball pythons are notoriously picky feeders.
    Just wait for a winter fast. Nothing from November til April!

AmityReptiles likes this.
  2. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

Is the mouse just as big around as the snake? If it's much bigger you should try a smaller size... also just thought of this but maybe the person you bought him from started him on pre-killed rats, is that a possibility?

3. Ohiosinger07

Ohiosinger07 Member

90% sure it was mice.

4. Ohiosinger07

Ohiosinger07 Member

Also, the mouse is almost even a bit small. I was estimating when I went to buy the mice.

5. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

Along with the foil, have you tried adding a second wanted dish? Sometimes having one right under you lamp / above heat mat can help with a nice consistent rate of evaporation. Cool side for drinking warm for bathing/ humidity. Off topic but you seem to be getting lots of good advice regarding the feeding.

6. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Just goes to show different people can have different experiences. I've never had one refuse a rodent because it was wet, and the wet rodents always seem to have a stronger smell to my nose. Anyway, i havd some sucess jumpstarting a non-feeding snake by changing up the prey, either feeding live when FT doesn't work, or changing prey species, like going from rats to african soft furs or something. I don't think your at that stage yet, but it may be something to consider later.

7. Ohiosinger07

Ohiosinger07 Member

Hey guys, quick update. Just got home from Europe to discover my snake has mites. Hubby has been treating him for several days, but of course they came on when he was in shed (which might explain the feeding issues...). Hubby said they showed up almost overnight. Plus he's having a dry shed too, no matter how much we mist the aquarium.

I'm also a little worried that he might be constipated because he pooped a little during his bath and it was hard and crusty and smelled (though I don't know how much fresh snake poop normally smells).

He's about 21" long and weighs around 68 grams, which seems light to me, but I was having issues with the scale, so he might weigh more.

Thanks for everyone's advice.

#OverlyProtectiveRookieSnakeOwner

Attached Files:

8. EctoJoJo

EctoJoJo Well-Known Member

I just recently purchased one of those zilla combo meters. So far enjoy the features such as high/low. So that is a good start. Mites are the absolute worst. Completely removing the snake and completely treating the cage/ furnishings is a must. Heat will take care of the eggs without adding chemicals. I have had luck with a hand steam cleaner and placing items in the oven. You can alternate the snake between a couple different temporary enclosures (sterilites for example regularly soaking with will help with the shedding as well as the mites). I have used a mild iodine solution before as well to treat bites but then rinse and dry. While your treating the primary enclosure you can try to make a sauna box to help with shed. A low air flow container with damp towels, a rock in the middle for friction. I have also used wet scotch brute pads to assist as well in the warm damp container.

9. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

Mites could very easily be part of the feeding issue. And they are a royal pain to get rid of, though you'll likely have it easier than me with just the one snake. Get rid of everything in the cage except one hide and the water dish. Soak the snake in a bit of water with a couple drop of dish soap, like dawn or something without strong perfumes or dyes. While the snake is soaking, clean the cage with the hottest water you can, steam cleaning would be great if you have the machine for it. When you put the cage back together, use paper towels for substrate, and just the water bowl and hide. And it will be best to just throw out any old substrate. There is a product called Provent-a-mite that works well in treating this issue so long as you follow the directions. And I treat at least a couple weeks longer than they say, just to be safe. Had several times where I thought they were gone only to have them crop up again in a few weeks.
    Now as for the shedding issue, your not keeping proper humidity in the enclosure. 50% is the minimum, and I've found 60% to be better. Looking at the pic, you need to cover that open space on the screen except where the light goes through. Even that will allow a lot of airflow.

10. AmityReptiles

AmityReptiles Well Established Member

A lot of people have had success using natural oils like olive oil, covering the snake with it. It Smothers the mites.

11. Ohiosinger07

Ohiosinger07 Member

thanks everyone, sadly he died while i was at work today. no clue how i'm going to recoup all the money I spent...