This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Issues

Discussion in 'Ball Pythons' started by HoanIsMyBallPython, Feb 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoanIsMyBallPython

HoanIsMyBallPython Elite Member

Ok this is a little hard to explain my snake never seems to come out of his hide.I have a ball python.I know there not nocturnal so i doubt hes doing all his moving around at night.There active in the morning and evening.But he is a lot fatter then when we bought him do you think he may have eating to much.

2. venus

venus Founding Member

Ball pythons tend to always hide. How often and what size prey are you feeding? Its hard to help you without all the information.

3. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Who told you that?
    Ball pythons are nocturnal. They sleep all day, come out in the evening and they wander around all night. I hardly ever see mine during the day but about 8-9PM they start moving around.

Hatchling ball pythons are thin. They quickly start to bulk up and get wider.

4. iam_a_legend06

iam_a_legend06 Well-Known Member

it is true ball pythons are nocturnal i rarely see mine move until ten and thats only if my room is dark and then he will do his snake business

5. BlackJack

BlackJack Subscribed User Premium Member

Normal

I never see my BP during the day!! Also, I tend to go to bed early, so I rarely see him at night either, but my husband says he moves all over the tank at night if it's dark. They are VERY shy snakes and will tend to hide most of the time.
    When mine is in shed, he won't move from his moss box for up to 2 weeks!
    I finally decided to take nice photos of him and hang them up near his terrarium, so I can look at him anytime! :rolleyes:
    If I really want to see him, I take him out after 8pm and hold him on my lap on the floor. I usually let him wander a bit, take pics and then put him back before he cools down too much.
    Of course, I see him at feeding time too when I put him in his feeding bucket and take him out again.

They fatten up pretty fast. Read through the caresheet on feeding again and if you follow that, you shouldn't need to worry.

6. caudalis_sa

caudalis_sa Elite Member

as all said...NOCTURNAL!!! yeah ball pythons are known to be nice fat little pythons... a healthy ball python should have a round girth. They are podgy looking snakes. It is a good thing if your ball python is bulking up...it means he is eating enough.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.