This Disappears When Logged In

feeding fish?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Rakoladycz, Oct 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

Just out of curiosity wouldnt fish be better for snakes than mice or birds?
    they have lots of protien and their bones are what cuttle bone is so they get good amount of calcium. Plus... big plus... its cheaper.

Im not sure about the digestion of the scales but garter snakes and water snakes eat fish so why not others like corns, pythons, boas?

I mean as long as you make sure the snake eats it head first so the scales and fins dont cut the snake up its ok right?

2. CodyW

CodyW Elite Member

I don't think they would recognize them as food. Snakes are very specialized and I dont think that things from the water would fall under their area of specialty. Then again I know next to nothing about snakes :confused:

3. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

The problem is that garter snakes and water snakes are designed to eat fish. Corn snakes, however, just don't naturally prey on fish. If mice is their natural diet, it must be what's best for them.

Cody made a good point too. A corn or a python most likely wouldn't even recognize a fish as food, cause it wouldn't smell like a rodent.

I have garter snakes, but I actually feed them mice. Although worms, fish, and amphibians make up the bulk of a garter's diet, in some parts of the country they also prey on rodents and reptiles. In ND though, garters are only known to eat the usual slimy prey like the worms, fish, and amphibians. I fed my garters a diet of minnows, but over time, that diet of nothing but minnows caused a thiamine deficiency in one of my snakes. This is because minnows are an oily fish, and the oil contains an enzyme (Thiaminase) that breaks down thiamine. Cod and carps (including goldfish) contain even more thiaminase than minnows. Anyway, so I switched their diet to fuzzies, but since the garters in ND don't normally eat mice, they reacted to the motion of the fuzzies, but wouldn't eat them cause they didn't smell like food. I worked around this by gently rubbing the fuzzies on one of my leopard frogs and now my snakes eat fuzzies just fine, cause they think they're eating frogs. This cured Snaker's deficiency, but it couldn't heal the brain damage, so he's not the same as he used to be.

Anyway, snakes just won't eat food that doesn't smell like food. If its a corn snake, then mice smell like food, but fish do not. Dangit, another long post :rolleyes:

4. MoLdYpOtAtOe

MoLdYpOtAtOe Elite Member

water snakes, ribbon snakes, and garters main diet are fish. But I would get one that is raised mainly on common feeders. Like mice, crickets, mealworms, superworms, and other common feeders. It is true a snake raised mainly on fish can have they're brain damaged by only eating fish. Of coarse a fish here and there will not hurt them. I have fed one of my old garters and water snakes mainly rosy minnows and they have not shown a sign that they were sick. I gave them away to my grand mother awhile back and they are still perfectly fine.

5. Bitis Gabonica

Bitis Gabonica Elite Member

I have to agree with Chronic and Furry.. most snakes, particularly an aboreal species for example such as a jungle carpet python, simply wouldn't recognise fish as food. I don't think it would be possible to get a lot of snakes to eat fish, and for another thing.. show me a place where you could readily get fish to feed a fully grown burm on a regular basis! :p
    Nice idea, but sadly not one that could ever become a reality IMO. :)

6. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

Yes, although the fish will destroy thiamine, as long as there is enough thiamine to make up for it in other foods offered, a fish here and there is just fine. Oh, BTW, thiamine is vitamin B1 and I believe its needed for something in the spinal chord. When he ate mostly minnows (I still offered an occasional worm banquet or small frog), they destroyed the thiamine in his spine and he's now slightly retarded. He's kinda goofy sometimes now, its sorta cute, though it'd be nicer if nothing had happened to him at all. He was on a fishy diet for nearly 2 years before he started having seizures, the first symptoms he gave me. Now he spends his days constantly trying to get some action from his girlfriend, who cruelly turns him down. Poor guy :rolleyes:

7. Rakoladycz

Rakoladycz Elite Member

i dunno i was just considering trying it out with my corn by alternating every week from mouse to fish... just an idea though

8. furryscaly

furryscaly Elite Member

You could try it. There's not much doubt in my mind that he'll turn down the fish, but if he actually eats it it'd be pretty interesting.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.