This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Fish To A Sav?

Discussion in 'Monitors' started by T-Rection, Sep 13, 2018.

1. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

My sav growing like a weed and getting pretty large now, im just wondering if i can feed him thawed frozen fish and what types are ok to feed him. Currently he is getting about 30 super worms a day and i rotate that with whole shimp and boild eggs every few days, as well as a pinky mouse or 2 every sunday. Everything gets a dusting of calcium and vitamins.

2. kriminaal

kriminaal HH Block Leader Staff Member Premium Member

Have you tried roaches?

3. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

I wish i could but i live in canada, roaches are illegal so i cant find anywhere that sells them

4. kriminaal

Well, part of that statement is true,lol I live in Canada.
    I won't comment on the fish, not really sure on that. You would have to watch lead levels as fish obsorb them.

Lori68 likes this.
  5. T-Rection

T-Rection Active Member

Lmao damn i wish i had places around me that sold roaches then, everywhere i go, even local non-chain stores for exotics and reptiles dont carry them :/
    Roaches would probably be the easiest to breed and largest insect prey i could offer, i didnt even know they were banned until about a year ago when i first got my tarantula and was looking on what to feed it.

6. kriminaal

I don't have them any longer, but here's a short story.
    Browsing the classifieds I read one that said the lizard was eating well on roaches. I contacted the seller and after some deliberation I bought 6 adult pairs for $20. Takes about 4-6 months to get a good colony going you can feed from, but more than worth it.
    Sometimes they do pop up in the classifieds, people splitting off their colonies.
    **disclaimer** I'm not endorsing illegal activities of any kind.

Kind of weird though that the german cockroach that infests everything is not illegal?

Lori68 likes this.
  7. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

I agree with Kriminaal. I am Canadian too and if you search through your local reptile community (not pet stores but actual keepers).....that's where you can find a connection to get yourself a starter colony. You can even check Canadian craigslist and probably find some as well. There is always a way if you are determined enough. And, I am also with Kriminaal in that I don't endorse it, but a desperate monitor keeper only wanting to do right by their animals has to do what it takes. Just don't go blabbing to everyone if you found someone who was willing to supply you with them.

8. Lori68

Lori68 Established Member

Other feeder insects like crickets if he'd take them and worms are ok as well. Hornworms, silkworms, butterworms, nightcrawlers (large bait worms). A better choice of eggs is quail eggs but raw, don't boil them. I find mine at my local Superstore...so check them out. That or an Asian supermarket like TNT or something to find these types of eggs....much better choice than store bought chicken eggs which were laid by stressed out battery hens.
    Try to keep the rodents down to very little as part of his regular diet. Variety will help spread out the nutritional content of each different type and being that savs are more insectivores naturally, you want to keep their diet more towards what they've evolved to live off of. Not all monitor lizards do well on a rodent heavy diet.