This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Fish to a Milk Snake?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by MorganLeFay, Jan 7, 2014.

1. trappen

trappen Elite Member

I have had 3 litters in 3 months and now got 3 females ready to pop.... and i think my last litter was a mix of guppy / pintail molly

2. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I just buy the cheep ones at petsmart lol! They have some pretty lame names too, like "Yellow girl", "Orange girl", "Black girl", "Cheetah tail" and "Lucky" lol

3. trappen

trappen Elite Member

yeah i've only named my dwarf puffers all start with corn.. wow this thread has gone way off topic back to snakes?

4. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I suppose I should name all of mine 'Lucky'...

5. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, my female just gave birth and it was a bit unexpected, since she really didn't look all that big. My strategy of leaving the babies to the adults seems to be working, the fry numbers dropped from about 14 to 4 in like 3 hours...If these 4 survive I'll have about as many as I can afford without overcrowding the tank, lol:) The fry are supercute and I actually hope at least one gets left over for me to watch it growing up, haha;) I've stopped trying to feed them to my snake, it's completely useless. He isn't even interested in their moving around anymore...:)

6. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Fry numbers down to two...and one of the adults died of intestinal parasites. This is going well...

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Oh no! I joined a local fish group and ended up with 3 huge females for free. I must have 50+ fry now and 5 females ready to explode. Do you have lots of hiding spots? I have live and fake plants in there. I didn't rinse the hornwort(live plants) under cold water so we have a pond and rams horn snail explosion.
    Here is my tank it's a 44 gal corner tank with a filter for a 60 gal tank.
    012-50.jpg

8. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

If you are wanting to save the fry, add a bunch of floating plants.

9. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I do have plants and hiding places, but it was never my intention to breed/keep these fish so I'm actually quite glad there are not too many of them. One of the fry deaths was my own dumb fault, because I was trying to fish it out in order to sex it and the net got caught up in something and then snapped forward, hitting one of the babies:( I felt horrible :( Anyway, somebody has already expressed their need for guppies, so I'll probably be giving them away some time soon. One of my females is ready to explode, even though I've just had a litter:) They really do breed like crazy :p