This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Fish to a Milk Snake?

Discussion in 'Milksnakes' started by MorganLeFay, Jan 7, 2014.

1. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I've been wondering whether it would be a good idea to introduce the occasional fish into my Milk's diet. He's been on mice all his life and when I gave him his first rat pinkie he threw himself at it like you wouldn't belive. I think he might need some variety, since Milks are very versatile feeders in the wild. Do you think it's a good idea? If so, what species would be good for him to eat? (I've really no idea, I'm not a big fish person) I've heard of people feeding guppies to garter snakes, but that sounds a bit weird. Are there any species that are toxic or something?

Advice greatly appreciated, as always:)

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

Depends on what you call toxic :p Digested fish smells... well... saying bad would be an understatement. Fish is not something a Milk would come across typically in the wild but if the opportunity arose I'm sure they would try it.

But the Smell /hurk...

3. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Haha, good point:) ...But what I meant was are there any species that are poisonous to the snake? If the smell is completely intolerable, then I'll quit. It's just an idea to vary his diet a bit. At least a fish can't bite back:)

4. Rich

Rich Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

We use to feed rosies to our garter snakes. We would add them to the water dish and the garters would go in head first and chase the swimming fish. Rosies are small feeder fish. I am not certain if any are toxic but you will likely be looking for some sort of feeder fish opposed to something more expensive.

I also agree with Darkbird that the fish wouldn't be a normal part of the diet.

5. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

Stay away from any form of catfish (plecostomus, cory, etc), puffers would be bad, and anything barbed. Rosie red minnows, goldfish, tilapia, and cichlids would all be acceptable though.

6. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Actually some milksnakes in the wild will take fish. Along with birds, eggs and other reptiles and amphibians including other snakes. But it really isn't necessary to feed it to them. A simple diet of rodents will supply their needs. Adult milksnakes in the wild feed primarily on rodents.

7. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

Goldfish and rosyreds both have a lot of thiaminase, which prevents the absorption of vitamin B-1. As a rare treat they are not bad, but not a staple. I feed my garters thawed bait minnows. Never tried my other snakes though. My blue tongue skink, water dragon and beardie will eat the minnows too. I also started up a tank to breed feeder guppies, so far I have about 20 babies.

8. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

OK, I just did something really un-clever, lol;) I got 3 live guppies for him as I came to the conclusion that if he is such a voracious eater then he shouldn't refuse them. Well he was completely disinterested! I mean he was intrigued and sniffing a bit, but he wouldn't strike, even when they were right next to him. I think he was more interested in the movement of the fish than actually eating them, lol;) Anyway, I didn't have the heart to kill the little creatures, so I put them in a plastic tub and bought them food, haha;) I know for sure I have both sexes in there, so maybe we'll see some babies, lol;) Anyway, I'll try offering again, if he doesn't eat then I'll either sell them (though who the **** will buy 3 feeder fish?) or simply end up with three more pets, lol:)

9. Merlin

Only problem is with guppies there will never be just three. Those darned things are born pregnant!

10. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I bought 3 females and 1 male, now have 20-30 guppies. It's hard to count the little ones! Thankfully my cichlids and garters will eat them :)

11. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Yes! So true. Actually they just mated! Saw it with my own eyes. It's not like I gave them great living conditions, I mean they were supposed to be food, but I just looked in the tub and there was the male going at it. Lol!

12. trappen

trappen Elite Member

My wife just yesterday was asking if we can feed some guppies to our ball python. Since,... we you can guess we started with 4 and have 50 more. <<< not really exaggeration. I don't think our ball will even take the time to squint at them much less try to figure out how to eat them.

13. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

and I would stay away from goldfish though.... pet stores have to many in one aquarium and they build up toxins in their system due to al the fecal matter in the water and I don't know if that will be bad to your snake.... just an opinion I don't think goldfish make good feeders unless you quarintene them for a while in a better environment then they are taken from or breed your own...

14. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

I recently came across an article that said goldfish and smelt should not be used as feeders at all because they contain an enzyme called thiaminase which blocks vit.B absorption and can be fatal for reptiles in the long run. Well, good thing i didn't think of them:)
    Guppies are apparently safe, but my snake still won't even look at them. And one of my females is certainly pregnant now, which is not very convenient since my pet store said they don't accept fish anymore:( I don't have room for them, just an old 5 galon tank from childhood:), so I think I'll just have to let nature take its course and allow the adults to eat the babies...

15. Merlin

Ball pythons do not eat fish. They are warm blooded prey predators.

16. Thalatte

Thalatte Elite Member

You know what this means Morganlefey? Your gonna need to get a turtle. Its the only solution to your fish problem.

17. MorganLeFay

MorganLeFay Elite Member

Hahaha, good one:) I have limited space though...and money! I already have a dog, a snake and now a fish tank crammed into my small apartment. Lol! Seriously, I was hoping these fish would just cross the rainbow bridge out of their own accord, but they are perfectly happy and breeding like crazy. The irony is that back when I had fish and cared for them properly and worried about their health etc., all of them died from ich. For now I'll just let their natural cannibalistic instincts kick in and control the fry population until I find a place that will accept them.

18. trappen

trappen Elite Member

Yeah I know. She just wants to control these guppies. I'm thinking the aquatic turtle might not be a bad idea.

19. jaydsr2887

jaydsr2887 Elite Member

Yeah get a common snapping turtle, drop him in there and guarentee the fish population would drop majorly within a week or two

20. Wyldrose

Wyldrose Elite Member

I keep cichlids too so if I get too many guppies I have other things that will eat them besides the 2 garter snakes. Right now I am at 50 fry and all 4 of my females are ready to pop.