This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Chicks

Discussion in 'Common/Red Tail Boa' started by methos75, Mar 13, 2012.

1. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

So i purchased a chick in the hopes I can wean my RTB on them since they are cheap and more available here, but its like he doesn't even acknowledge they are food. what is the hold up here?

2. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

You may have to scent the chick with a rodent, also..is your boa male or female? What do you plan on feeding when he/she gets bigger?

3. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

He is already pretty big, he is about 7 feet long and has only ate rodents which may mean its too late to get him on something else. when I say chick, they are more like half grown chickens.

4. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

Where do you store your feeders?
    Do you have rodents?

If you keep your own rodents in a cage put the chick in that same cage so it can get the smell of the rodents. I wouldn't suggest putting them all in the same cage meaning the rodent and chick together.

5. mshrmheadcharge

Are you offering the chicks dead or alive?

6. HerpFanatic

HerpFanatic Elite Member

I guess I should have asked that..... I just assumed he fed live.

7. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

I tried it live at first since it is something he has never had before, but since he usually only gets F/T I have since wrung the Chicken's neck and left in in the cage for him. I get my Rodents from Petco LOL, I did get a rat out and rubbed it on the dead chicken's body to see if that helps. He just got finished shedding today and he usually eats with gusto after that, so i am hoping he will take it later tonite. I really don't want to of killed an animal to no purpose

8. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

SOB, I don't know how this is even possible, but that chick is still alive and I assure you, I thought I broke its neck. I go in there to check on the progress and the thing jumps up like nothing is wrong, , I really don't want to go through the process of breaking its neck again.

9. mshrmheadcharge

Ahhh! that is kind of horrible! Petco is pretty expensive, would you be able to order online in bulk or possibly go to an expo and pick them up bulk there? Both options save money and you don't have to wring a chickens neck >.<

10. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

There is a breeder here I go to when I can, but they are a ways away and its more like an day's outing to go get rats from them, Bushill Rodents is in my general area and I am trying to set up a drop-off with them where I met them in the middle to get rats as they travel to stores around here

11. mshrmheadcharge

Are they willing to meet you? Do you have any expos close to your area? Thats usually where I get mine from. Are you going to try to feed him the chick again tonight? He may not take it but it's worth the try, if only to get rid of the chick :p

12. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Oh yeah, I am keeping the chick in there over night, I don't think it poses a threat to him so I am hoping he will take it after lights out

13. mshrmheadcharge

Oh, have you killed it? I don't know how defensive a chicken can become when threatened, he may do some serious damage your your snake!

14. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

diurnal birds usually go down with the sun, which is when your snake will be waking. I have never fed chicks to my snakes (yet) but I have heard it makes for smelly, runny stools until they adjust. If/when the bird dies, you may want to give it a thorough washing, to remove chicken scent, then lay it with some dead rodents for a while (or in rodent litter) to acquire a new scent.

I order my rodents online, shipped to my door. Very convenient, and no offing required.

15. methos75

methos75 Elite Member

Chick survived the night and I exchanged it for two smaller chick, still he will not go for it but my 4 foot long Hypo Boa slammed the other one like it hadn't ate in months so at least I don't have two Chicks to worry about now

16. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Good luck with switching over it seems to be such a pain. I'm still working on it myself :(