This Disappears When Logged In

Feeding Aggresion.

Discussion in 'Burmese Pythons' started by DSBoots, Mar 29, 2014.

1. DSBoots

DSBoots Well-Known Member

I have an 8 month female Granite Burmese Python, and she's usually very docile, but at times she gets extremely aggressive and mistakes EVERYTHING for food. I feed her a small rat every week, about to move up to mediums. Her temps are correct and she's on forest bark substrate. She's extremely healthy and all, she just tends to get overly excited about feeding. I dont feed her in her enclosure, but in a cardboard box. I feed her prekilled rats, not live or frozen. Im not worried about being bitten, it doesnt bother me in the least, but I'm worried she'll end up hurting herself, by striking the side of her enclosure or snagging her teeth on something. Is there anything I can do to calm her down?

2. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Sounds like you may need to increase feeder size. An always hungry snake can be dangerous.
    Can you post a photo of the snake with something to judge size by?

3. mshrmheadcharge

mshrmheadcharge Moderator Staff Member Premium Member

I agree with increasing the feeder size, she does sound hungry. Also how often do you handle her between feedings?

4. EriksExotics

EriksExotics Elite Member

How big is she? You could probably move her onto large if not now, pretty soon.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

I agree with the others, sounds hungry. Also, why are you feeding outside the enclosure? If your trying to aviod "cage aggression", it is a myth, and the only way you will have issues is if you never handle the snake and only open the cage to feed. Then you end up with a conditioned feed response. I'm only bringing this up because it will become impractical to move a large snake for feeding as it gets bigger. And the danger of an accident increases, as they may still be in feed mode. Trust me, you don't want to get tagged by that critter when it hits 14' or so. Been there, thankfully she let go right away.

6. DSBoots

Hey guys. Sorry I disappeared for 2 days. I wound up dropping my phone in the sink. Anyways. Yes. I handle her alot. Like I said, shes usually extremely docile. I dont think she's hungry, seeing as a small rat leaves a decent lump on her. Ill post up a pic.

7. DSBoots

8. DSBoots

I know this. Ive been hit by a big burm before. Doesnt feel good... at all, but if you play with fire... Its like the other day I had her out in my room (no pets are allowed in my room and I hadnt handled rats for a few days at least.) She was being chill and everything then out of nowhere she just grabs my finger and wraps on my arm. Its almost like she gets random feeding responses.

9. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

Strike like that does sound like it's hungry to me. Most snakes will bite out of self defense but to wrap and hold means they're looking for prey..... imho

10. DSBoots

Shes never been defensive. She just triggers feeding responses extremely randomly and suddenly. Usually, I wouldnt mind, but this being a burm, theres reason for concern.

11. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

That snake is ready to move up in feeder size. It really sounds to me like a hungry snake.

12. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Still sounding like it's time for larger and or more frequent feeding, though she is gorgeous btw. Something else that occurs to me here is that with your feeding her outside her enclosure, she may be confusing handling time with feeding time. What is your current prey and feeding scedule?

13. DSBoots

I feed her a small rat every Sunday. In the pic, you can see the lump left by the rat. Ill look at my providers inventory, and see if she can handle a medium. You may be right, now that I think about it. With her being so frantic about feeding though, would it be possible that she'd strike at my hand when I reach into her aquarium?

14. JoeyG

JoeyG Subscribed User Premium Member

when they smell food or are hungry they'll strike at any moving heat signature.... I have ball python babies on small rats... Trust me a snake wont take what it can't handle

15. Darkbird

Darkbird Elite Member

Go up a size or see if she'll take 2. That's also the issue with rat sizing, one places small might be anothers medium or large. I just sold off a buch of my overstock and the guy seemed surprised that I hadn't sorted them for him.

16. DSBoots

Alrghty. I appreciate the advice. Ill bump her up to a medium, and see how that works. Appreciate it, guys!