This Disappears When Logged In

Feeders Of Choice.

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by Macaw Mike, Jul 4, 2015.

1. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

Is there feeders you prefer or not prefer?

To be honest, I'm not a huge fan of these Tropical banded crickets. They're great in some cases (I've discovered that they're quite hardy), and it doesn't take em much to keep em from living, but I've noticed they're quite a bit on the smelly side, way more than house crickets. I've also noticed that my leopard gecko prefers the ordinary house crickets to banded crickets.

Is it just me though? You could discuss about what feeders you like to use, ones you don't like using, and etc. I'm a bit curious myself :)

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I like getting various bugs for my lizards. I figure a varied diet keeps them from getting bored with one food :p

When I can find them...
    Turkestan cockroach - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Wax worms, bonus pupae to moth = flying lizards
    Mantis pods
    meal worms, rarely

Crickets are the staple as I can ALWAYS find them in sizes I need but a varied diet makes for a happy lizard.

Macaw Mike likes this.
  3. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

I also am a believer of varying diets, because I'm sure even animals get bored of eating the same thing XD

I've fed my Leo waxworms (even pupae and adult moths), mealworms, small super worms, butterworms, small Dubia roaches, and even smaller hornworms. Calciworms/Phoenix Worms/Black soldier fly larvae/ whatever make good treats as well :p

4. Qwerty3159

Qwerty3159 Elite Member

Superworms are without competition the easiest to keep alive, but not suitable for anything small.

5. firehawk0285

firehawk0285 New Member

Variety is important. I wouldn't feed anything even close to exclusively. My herps will refuse to eat things that they receive too often. That being said, my favorites are superiors (except that they bite), goliath worms (except that they are expensive), and my all-time favorite is dubia roaches. They can be gotten super cheap (compared to pet stores) online. I get mine at
    Home - Discount Dubias

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015