This Disappears When Logged In

Feeder roach diet, can we do better than cat food?

Discussion in 'Feeders' started by CTU2fan, Feb 4, 2015.

1. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

It seems like a lot of the care sheets suggest cat/dog kibble as a staple supplemented with some greens. But in the spirit of feeding a healthier prey to our lizards I'm thinking could other pellet choices be better? Ideas that crossed my mind were a higher protein fish pellet like Hikari Carnivore or similar (could be Omega or a generic), or maybe Mazuri Croc diet or a mix of croc and tortoise? I've just always had the idea that there's a lot of filler/crap in standard dog and cat kibble.

Still prepping for my roaches, I haven't bought any yet, so expect more questions...

2. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

mshrmheadcharge and kriminaal like this.
  3. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

Interesting, especially since most of the roach care guides tend to recommend a high protein kibble/pellet as a base staple.

Based on that I'd probably want to avoid a high protein pellet like Croc Diet, and rather maybe focus on something like Tortoise Diet or similar. I'll do more research on nutrient levels in different diets though.

4. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

Many people seem to misunderstand the term "staple". That just means that it can be routinely used, not that it is the main, or only, element of the diet. Your roaches should be fed primarily fruits and vegetables with a touch of the animal protein thrown in as a supplement.

5. Darkbird

Darkbird Moderator Staff Member

I've actually been having pretty good results using chicken laying mash mixed 50/50 with the powder thats leftover from my rodent food, plus greens and fruit. They also get old bread and cereal on occasion. And I stopped using dog and cat food altogether after reading that article as it explained some of the die-off issues I was having. I do sometime give a little kibble to younger ones when I want to gutload some extra protien, but normally not.

6. CTU2fan

CTU2fan Elite Member

I hadn't thought of rodent block, my daughter has rats (she constantly warns me to keep my snakes away from her babies lol) so crushed rodent block is easy to add.

I want to feed a lot of green stuff, we try to get a lot of dark greens into our herbivorous lizards and torts so it makes sense that'd be the way to grow a healthier feeder roach. Appreciate all the input, interesting that so many of the roach care sheets advise a high protein diet when that's apparently what not to do.

7. Dragoness

Dragoness Elite Member

Mine get mostly veggies, with only a little kibble on occasion.

8. Macaw Mike

Macaw Mike Member

I've raised Dubias before, and I'd recommend this one diet offered by my local herp shop. The downside of the food is that it's not cheap: the smallest size AFAIK is probably 8-9 bucks, but it keeps them alive. You can read more about the food here:
    Nature Zone Total Bites for Feeder Insects: Reptiles Feeder Insect Diet

The best thing about it is you can even feed other feeder insects this food, including crickets, mealworms, etc.

However, it's not necessary but you could add some variety to the diet, say food scraps once in a while or so, it wouldn't harm much to be honest.

9. DwarvenChef

DwarvenChef Elite Member

I was given a jar of this stuff and I'm not much impressed with it, or it's smell /hurk...

I'm sticking with Bug Burger (also not cheap) but I seem to have better results with it. Not to say the above item is bad, I just can't get used to it.

As for food scraps, I'm ok with my organic scraps from the garden but I don't feed my bugs processed human food, look what it does to humans, not going to feed it to my lizards food...

Macaw Mike likes this.
  10. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

I have never used cat food or anything other than basic greens and wheat bran.

11. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

My roaches are my alternative to a compost pile. They eat the scraps leftover from all of the meals that the dragon and tortoises get. Sometimes they get a handful of rat kibbles, or cat kibbles, or chicken bones with bits of meat still. They seem to love the mazuri tortoise food mush that I make with watermelon, plum, collards, chard, red lettuce and soaked kibbles.

I've never used roach specific food and I still have a healthy HUGE colony. (And a happy Bearded Dragon)