This Disappears When Logged In

Fecal Matter-AFT

Discussion in 'African Fat-tailed Geckos' started by NewAFTowner, Aug 28, 2009.

1. NewAFTowner

NewAFTowner Member

Hello all...we just bought our first AFT on Monday and we are concerned that we have not seen any fecal matter. We originally had ground walnut shells as substrate and changed to sand the other day. After reading many posts on here this morning we took out all the sand and have just layed paper towels down. "Iggy" is eating each day about 4 crickets without any problems. Is there anything else we should be doing?

2. Moshpitrockchick

Moshpitrockchick Subscribed User Premium Member

Can you tell us a little more about your set up, including size, temps and humidity?

3. NewAFTowner

NewAFTowner Member

We currently have him in a 20 gal tank. Temp on hot side is between 85-90 and cool side is about 78. No idea about the humidity. We are currently using a reptile lamp for a heat source...no underlaying heat par. There is a hide box on the hot side that is misted. Again...we layed out paper towles for the substrate. There are a couple small rocks on the hot side and of course his water dish on the cool side and a fake plant, as well as his rock house in the center of the tank.
    I am hoping by having the paper towels down that we will be able to see when he "goes" thinking possibly that he was burying it in the sand???
    Again...he seems to be eating fine...goes after the crickets as soon as we put them in...usually about 2-3 per day. He is roughly about 3 1/2 to 4" long not including the tail.

4. schlegelbagel

schlegelbagel Frog Lover Premium Member

Humidity is very important with these guys and the biggest difference between them and leopard geckos. Without humidity you are putting his kidneys into overdrive. Pick up a hygrometer. Many people use eco-earth for part of the substrate (tile or paper towel the rest) to keep up humidity, somewhere between 30 and 50%.

Belly heat is also important for these guys. I would (if you haven't already) put down a piece of slate under the light. This will provide belly heat and aid in digestion.

5. Orca

Orca Elite Member

Look on the belly of the gecko too. A dark discoloration spot, almost like a bruise, on the belly would indicate impaction. You can also try soaking Iggy in a shallow dish of luke warm water to try to get him or her to go.

6. NewAFTowner

NewAFTowner Member

OK..so last night I ran to the pet store and bought reptile carpet, an undertank heat pad, and a brick of eco-earth. This is the set-up now:
    Cool side- paper towels, water dish, long shallow container filled with the eco-earth.
    Warm Side- Undertank heat pad, reptile carpet, 2 small flat rocks (NOT heat rocks) plus tank lamp. His hide is almost in the center of the tank...I moved it just a little over to the warm side just so that one part of it was on the warm side...this being because I do remember that each time I pick him up he usually feels a bit cool.
    Orca- I know of the spot that you are talking about. The same thing happened to our leopard gecko. I have not seen this on our AFT. I did give him a little soak last night while I was changing the cage (for the third time...lol). And to think, this is my 10 year olds pet. I think it is just the mother instinct in me to try and make sure everything is ok. Here is hoping that I see some fecal matter in the tank...lol
    Thanks everyone and please let me know if I should be doing anything else!

WooHoo...Iggy relieved himself!...lol
    This is what we found this morning...in the container that has the Eco-Earth there was 2 fairly large pieces of fecal matter mixed in the eco-earth
    and a white piece next to it. Is the white feces as well??

7. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

The white is urates, the reptile equivalent of urine.
    Congratulations!

8. Orca

Orca Elite Member

The white part is the urate (the equivalent to our urine). This should always be present with the fecal part. You'll fit in here just fine when you also get excited about poop ;)

EDIT: Apparently Merlin and I are on top of this and know our reptile droppings LOL

9. TitoAndKatt

TitoAndKatt Elite Member

I have a few suggestions to make...
    I am glad to hear that you got an under tank heat pad - belly heat is very important. :) I highly recommend getting more hides. There should be a dry hide on the hot side, a dry hide on the cold side, and a moist hide on the hot side to help with shedding. For the wet hide, just fill it with some damp moss and keep misting it as you have been to keep it from drying out.
    Is you tank a 20 normal, or a 20 long? A 20 long is best as it has the most floor space, but a regular 20 gallon will work just fine too. :) I am glad to hear that he pooped and welcome to HC! :D
    And congrats on your new little friend! Nice name - it is funny to see a Gecko named iggy instead of an Iguana! ;)

P.S. We demand pics! ;)
    P.P.S. After all of that cage changing and moving to a new home your little guy is probably pretty stressed. Try to not handle him unless necessary for about a week or two to let him settle in to his new home. :)

10. schlegelbagel

Yay for poop. We are all excited about poop here.

11. NewAFTowner

NewAFTowner Member

I am really confused now...am I supposed to have the eco-earth on the cool side or the warm side? The told me in the pet store it should be on the cool side. I took some pictures of my set up:
    DSCN0158.jpg

DSCN0160.jpg

DSCN0159.jpg

DSCN0156.jpg
    The second picture is the cool side and the third picture is the warm side. And the fourth is IGGY...lol

12. schlegelbagel

It doesn't matter what side you have it on, as long as the basking spot shines on one of your big rocks to make a warm surface to digest on. If its on the warm side, things will probably be more humid and it will dry out faster, cool side, less humid, dry out slower.

Do you have a top on that tank or is it open? I can't tell. You may need to put some plastic over the top, to help keep some moisture in. Otherwise its just going to go right out into the room.

13. Merlin

Merlin Administrator Staff Member Premium Member

And ditch those circular stick on guages. They are not very accurate. Get a digital!
    Besides where you are getting your readings is up in the air. That's not where the lizards are.

14. NewAFTowner

NewAFTowner Member

There is a screen top for the tank but we also put a towel on top at the cool side to help keep some of the moisture in as well the keep the cool side at about 77 degrees. I have noticed since the heating pad was inserted that Iggy is warm to the touch now and not cool. Thank you all sooo much for all the information. It has helped a great deal!!